Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Civil War (McMonkey vs Techumseh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch. Looks like there's still some fight left in the Rebs yet! As commander in chief I did think Schofield was overextending himself but he assured me the Rebels had little left in the area to oppose him once Atlanta was dealt with. I wonder if this was the last available reserve that was thrown in?
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

• Originally posted by McMonkey View Post
      Ouch. Looks like there's still some fight left in the Rebs yet! As commander in chief I did think Schofield was overextending himself but he assured me the Rebels had little left in the area to oppose him once Atlanta was dealt with. I wonder if this was the last available reserve that was thrown in?
      We have been routing reinforcements to Atlanta from the time Chattanooga was captured. As for reserves, there's still Stonewall Jackson and the Army of Mississippi.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• I have encountered a slight problem with the events. I launched my attack on Charlotte and after my initial barrage had weakened the units of Hampton's Legion and killed a few Conscripts and Volunteers I went in to mop up with my veteran Infantry and Generals. Whenever I attack I keep a note of how badly damaged surviving enemy units are so I can plan the order of attack most effectively. There was one HL with a small bit of health in the red and another in the green but damaged. With my Generals I finished off these two units but I was surprised when another full strength Hampton's Legion unit was defending. I continued to press my attack but every time I killed one HL unit another fresh one appeared. I saved the game and then retrieved the CSA save and took a quick peak (being very careful not to look at other troop dispositions) and saw the city was defended by the 7 assorted Infantry plus only two HL. By this point I had destroyed over seven units of Hampton's Legion!

I checked the event and it looks Ok but I guess the delay is not working. There must be a way to get around this. I'm sure you would be happy to have an immortal unit blocking the Federal Army but I'm afraid that just isn't cricket

What do you think the best course of action is Tech? Luckily I make regular saves as I play my turns so I won't have to replay very much. There are no battles, bar Charlotte that will have to be re-played.

@IF
        UnitKilled
        unit=Hampton's Legion
        attacker=Anybody
        Defender Only
        defender=Confederate States
        @THEN
        DELAY
        randomize
        delay=6
        CreateUnit
        owner=Confederate States
        unit=Hampton's Legion
        veteran=yes
        homecity=None
        locations
        endlocations
        @ENDIF

I will wait for your reply before continuing.
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Interesting. God really is on our side. :desire:

How would you feel if in my turn I disbanded the Hampton's Legion units and abandoned the city? That isn't perfect, since you can't exploit in this turn, but it gives you the city. The other possibility is to see if Aggie can do a hex-edit to eliminate those pesky defenders of freedom (to own slaves).

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Hm, the problem is that you should get them back after the delay and also I wasn't planning to hang around outside Charlotte for another turn! Is it not possible to alter the re-spawning grid reference in the event file to a rear area city (say Houston) and then run the save through the delevent file? Or would this reset all the timers? I'm not so clued up on the mechanics on the events file.

One simple solution would be for me to attack as usual but once the first one is destroyed I would use the cheat mode to disband the re-spawned unit, and then when the second one is destroyed I would do the same again. You could then add them back during your turn (with the six turn delay?). I'm not sure how long it has been taking for my elite units to re-spawn. I wonder if it is just this particular delay event that is not working or all the delay events?
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• All the elite unit events have the same structure, so I'm sure they all are misfiring.

I don't know how or if the delevent would work, and I didn't think you could use the cheat menu in a hotseat game. How about accepting the one turn delay and I'll spot you one city for the victory calculations?

Btw, the respawning of the Hampton's Legion occurs at 6 cities, of which you have captured 4. The remaining locations are Charlotte, and if that is captured, Greensboro.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• You can use the cheat menu in a hotseat game. You just rename the save file from .hot to.sav and load it as a normal game, make the changes and save. Then rename the save back to .hot and load it back up as a hotseat game. With MGE you then need to press Control+J and add back the other human players, but I'm not sure if this is necessary with ToT. The whole process is pretty simple and quick and would be a solution to our problem.

I'm afraid I can't go with your compromise as I have plans to be well beyond Charlotte by the end of my turn (sorry!). I think the best solution would be to attack the city as normal and use the cheat menu to disband each re-spawned unit as they appear. I will also put the two HL units in Greensboro for you this turn (I can place them without going into the city screen and seeing your defences. This seems fair if all of the re-spawning events are misfiring!

I hadn't intended to attack Greensboro this turn, and I won't change my mind just because I know I could block the re-spawning of the HL units. I will just carry on as I intended before the problem arose

I will play the turn now.
                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Union March 1865

To keep the mountainous road into Georgia open the Federal Army launches a minor attack against the Rebel troops there. One CSA Infantry and one Cavalry Regiment as well as a damaged General are destroyed or captured for the loss of two Heavy Artillery.

The much anticipated attack on Charlotte goes ahead. Two Regiments of Hampton's Legion, one of Militia, five of Conscripts and one of Volunteers are destroyed. The Federal Army under Generals McClellan and Sheridan lose seven Heavy Artillery and five regiments of veteran Infantry. The toughest defenders were the CSA Volunteers who refused to die quietly and took down three of the US Infantry regiments!

South of Charlotte on the road to Columbia a Rebel Conscript Regiment is destroyed for the loss of on veteran US Infantry.

Columbia, South Carolina falls with relative ease. Two regiments of Rebel Militia are destroyed for the loss of one veteran US Infantry Regiment. Four Irregular units are also destroyed. The Union have captured the Southern Baptists wonder.

EDIT: I used the cheat menu as describe below without a hitch. We may have to use the same method if I attack Greensboro. The only downside is that the Civilization Score page now has the words "CHEAT MENU" in capital red letters
                  Attached Files
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                  SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• The TOT manual uses the following sequence of instructions

Delay
                    delay= number 1 to 1000
                    Randomize

Dunno if it makes any difference.
                    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• President Techdavis addresses the nation.

Here is a report of his remarks, made to the Confederate Congress:

"My friends and countrymen. We are about to embark upon the final chapter of our war to protect our sacred way of life from yankee aggression. A mere eight months separates us from the end of this scenario. If we fail, it is not from any lack of skill or courage on our part. Rather it is a deficiency in the design of the scenario itself. For who could forget the great victories in Tennessee, at Mobile, and at Atlanta.

Nor can we forget the tragic and unexpected loss at the Battle of Richmond, which unhinged our entire strategy in the east. It is not our failure that created yankee heavy artillery being far too cheap, but the negligence of the great designer, whose wisdom we cannot begin to fathom.

Many great battles are behind us. Ahead of us lie battles greater still. The Battle for Virginia is lost. The Battle of Alabama has been won. Now we face the Battle for Georgia, our final test. Let us remember what we fight for: Our homes. Our families. The right to enslave other human beings. These are worth fighting, and dying, for.

So let us pick up once again our weapons, and with grim determination, face the yankee invader. Remember that it is nobler to die than to have to do your own work. For freedom, and for slavery, onward!"

Attached Files
                      Last edited by techumseh; July 2, 2010, 03:09.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by techumseh View Post
                        Let us remember what we fight for: Our homes. Our families. The right to enslave other human beings.
                        Remember that it is nobler to die than to have to do your own work. For freedom, and for slavery, onward!"

And I'll use this opportunity to tell you I have been avidly following your playtesting reports, checking everyday what happened: what you provide us is not only a thorough playtest, but an excellent read as well!
                        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

• Beautiful oratory. It brought a tear to my eye!

When we have finished we should both publish our memoirs of the war. That should provide some interesting reading and some surprises I think!
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Union April 1865

South of Memphis a CSN River Ironclad is sunk. On the Wilmington to Florence road one regiment of CSA Infantry is destroyed. Florence is taken with two half starved Militia units surrendering after a token resistance. No Irregular units are seen. On the road from Columbia to Atlanta two CSA Infantry Regiments are destroyed. Georgetown is cleared on rebel troops by Naval bombardment. One CSA Infantry Regiment and two of Militia destroyed. The Union army surrounds the city but does not move in for fear of flooding the surrounding swamps with Irregulars. Federal troops clear the road from Charlotte to Columbia of rebel troops. One regiment of Hampton's Legion and two CSA Infantry Regiments destroyed. On the road from Chattanooga to Atlanta McPherson's army keeps up the pressure. Four regiments of CSA Infantry and one of Volunteers destroyed for the loss of three US Heavy Artillery. Augusta is captured, two Militia units are destroyed. The Federal army keeps forgetting about the Irregulars. Three units are destroyed but one is left occupying a strong defensive position

The maps is not of the current front, but I thought it looked really cool!
                            Attached Files
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Yankee Army Routed! Gen. McPherson captured

Stonewall cheered in Atlanta

General Stonewall Jackson has been given a hero's welcome in Atlanta, prior to his departure northwards, where he met yankee Gen. Thomas' Army of the Cumberland and defeated it completely. Yankee losses were 4 infantry rgts, 1 negro rgt, 2 batteries of heavy artillery, and Gen. McPherson, captured. Southern losses were 3 infantry rgts.

The ever-victorious Army of Mississippi now turns to face it's most formidable foe, the Union Army of the Potomac, under the command of Gen. George McClellan, advancing from the east. May God save us all. Amen.

Prayers also for the crew of the gunboat USS Rielle Hunter, who went down before the guns of the ironclad CSS John Edwards on the Yazoo River.

Attached Files
                              Last edited by techumseh; July 4, 2010, 02:14.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Union May 1865

The pass between Charleston West Virginia and Roanoke is cleared of Rebel troops. Two CSA Infantry Regiments are destroyed for the loss of two Heavy Artillery and one Veteran US Infantry Regiment.

South of Chattanooga a CSA Infantry Regiment is destroyed for the loss of one Heavy Artillery. A large number of troops are diverted to this key city to ward off a Rebel attack. Meanwhile to the east of Atlanta a the Union Army of General Meade strengthens its position on the high ground in preparation for an all out assault.

Surrounded by Federal troops Georgetown surrenders. A few Irregulars emerge but they are restricted to poor ground and are easily dealt with.
                                Attached Files
                                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                                X