Great War Multiplayer scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great War Multiplayer scenario

This is just a side project to keep my creative juices flowing while I try and finish of ACIII and updated versions of Aeterna Civitas II and Riso of the Dictators.

I have often thought about making a WWI scenario using my well exploited European map. Every time I have given up as the job of making a fairly accurate representation of such a static war (at least in the west) has made it seem like an exercise in futility. The other day I was pondering it again and I think I have come up with some solutions, so I am going to have a bash at it to see if they work.

I will explain more as I go along. Initially I just need the answer to a simple question (I don't really have the time to search through loads of old threads). The map will be non stackable and fortresses will represent trench lines. I don't really want cities to become the major focal points for defences. Will a unit in a city with walls that is built on grassland defend at the same level as a unit in a fortress on grassland?
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Fortress X2, City Walls X3
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I thought it was something like that. Thanks for clarifying. I want to make sure that players don't just cram all their units into cities and abandon the trenches. Looks like I will have to use a terrain type for cities with a lower defence rating than the surrounding countryside.
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Have had some time off work and decided to do a bit of work on this project. I have finished the map and city placement. The map took a while to do as I decided after placing all the cities to delete all of the swamp terrain to use for trenches. I had not realized how much swamp there was on the map. However I slogged through and got it done eventually.

I have used the Glacier terrain under all of the cities. I will give this terrain a lower defence value than other terrain types so that the city walls bonus will be less than a fortress square on hills or trench terrain. This will encourage defence outside cities instead of mega garrisons and endless sieges.

There will be two types of trench. The first is the fortress and the second is the Trench terrain which will have a bonus of say +50% and hills will be +100% (or something along those lines).

I also wanted to find a way to prevent players from bypassing trench warfare by launching unrealistic outflanking amphibious attacks. My solution is the Mine unit which will be liberally spread around. An example of its use is the screenshot below. To get through the Dardanelles the player will have to make a landing on the Gallipoli peninsula and capture that city which is supporting the yellow mines. The way will then be open for warships to attack Constantinople from the sea.

Attached Files
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

This all sounds very interesting. I think a scenario like the WWI and also the American Civilwar will be more interesting as a multiplayer games only. I´m more and more to give up my idea of a singleplayer scenario.

I think I will catch up the Verne scenario and making a game were you´ve to build up an Empire like in the original version from Microprose. This will be a classic civ game, hopefully
          American War of Independence
          A Divided Nation - US Civilwar

Comment

Working...
          X