Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!?

Has anyone seen this before?
    I did some minor tweaks to the rules.txt of my MGE scn, & then when I loaded the game, this came up. Reverting to the pre-tweaks didn't solve this ...
    Any ideas?? thanks in advance ...
    Attached Files

I know less than diddly about C++, but the problem evidenty is in civ2.exe. Have you tried reinstalling civ2 MGE?
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall Civ, pick up the .TXT and start again tweaking. Beware, this time change one value at time and do a continous reload. It's tyring, but you'll avoid further troubles.

I did the same once and my Civ2.exe never started again, ever after reinstallation...
      "The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win" - Zhuge Liang "Use the ordinary forces to engage battle, the extraordinary to win" - Sun Tzu

Comment

I hadn't though of that: I've assumed s/thing was somehow wrong in rules.txt (all other scenarios are working just fine). I'll let you know.
        Thanks so much for the feedback!

Comment

Is the rules file in a separate scenario folder or in the main Civ2 folder?

If it is in a separate scenario folder copy and paste the damaged rules somewhere (EG desktop) and then put in the vanilla rules. If the scenario works then copy your edited scenario rules section by section into the vanilla rules text file. After adding a section save the rules text and try loading the scenario until it crashes again. You will then know where the error is.

Normally when I make an error in the rules file and the game crashes to desktop I try this method and it is usually due to a missing comma or something trivial like that. However I don't normally see that error message so I might be talking a load of baloney
          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
          SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
          SL INFORMATION THREAD
          CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Great Minds ....

Holy smokes, McMonkey: that's precisely what I've done (re-installing civ2.exe didn't work), and lo and behold, sure as shinola, there it was: a missing comma ...
            I feel rather embarassed, actually
            Me, who prides himself on attention to detail
            And smilies aside, I can now carry on

Thanks so much, guys!!!

Comment

The humble comma. Seemingly insignificant but deadly
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
              SL INFORMATION THREAD
              CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Originally posted by McMonkey View Post
                The humble comma. Seemingly insignificant but deadly
                Indeed. I had to use HDD Regenerator because of one of these...
                "The wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win" - Zhuge Liang "Use the ordinary forces to engage battle, the extraordinary to win" - Sun Tzu

Comment

Working...
                X