Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE CIV2 NEWS THREAD!

Hi there, folks!

This thread will be the place where we link to the main CIV2 poly news pages.
    What we also would like is if regulars used this sticky thread to inform all us
    mods about any newsworthy items that you want us to cover! That would
    mean new projects, released scenarios/mods, and anything else CIV2-related!

Below is the link to the new area...Let us know any scoops!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

After some looking - I am not even sure I still have news moderation permissions! I better go and check this out -

And I also notice that the CIV2 news area is rather hard to access...This has given me an inspiration...

I am thinking a dedicated CIV2 News Blog might be a better idea...What if we linked to a blog from this
    thread and myself and McMonkey ran it specifically for keeping the online world up to date of all the new
    CIV2 developments here on poly? It would be fast to update, easy to use, modern and get the info out there!

What do you all think?

Comment

I've posted a request about news and blogs to the Poly admin.

I'll let everyone know what happens...!

Comment

A news blog sounds like a good idea! I still think we need to do something with the current news page though. At the moment anyone who visits Apolyton and clicks on the Civ2 section (IE the link you posted above) will see a July 2007 news item and may assume there is no activity and will probably not even bother clicking on the small Forums tab on the left. I think we could do with a 2009 news story about the current changes with links to the forum, blog and Wiki site. We could post a quarterly update with this info as well as a summary of the news to show we are still alive and kicking! This is one of the main ways of finding the Scenario League still.

BTW is there a better way of describing the Wiki page? Just for clarity Should the standard names be the Civ2 Scenario League Forum (SL Forum) and the Scenario League Site (SL Site)? I know this sounds a bit anal but Wiki page just sounds wrong to me and it would help avoid confusion between the two things if there was a standard name. I know this is not a major issue so feel free to ignore my wittering
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
        SL INFORMATION THREAD
        CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Been checking the staff area, and it seems the Poly news system is a bit wonky right now.

They are working on a total upgrade of the software - So, it might be a good idea to start
          a blog for our news, and myself Arthedain and McMonkey share the user/pass details to
          add any thing that counts as news - As we know Blogger is easy as heck to use/edit.

All that remains is to ask - Who shall open the account?

Comment

So is it possible to put one last news story on the main news page with a clear links to the SL Forum, SL Site and the Civ2 General Forum plus a link to the new News Blog? I think this is really important to attract passing traffic to our little world of Civ2. Without something there it is like having a shop with no sign or window display. You are just hoping shoppers notice the side door and have a peak inside (Crap analogy I know ). Surely this would be possible?

Regarding the Blog, I think you should open the account Ciaran as its your vision
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I have asked for help on the staff forum to try and get the news page updated, even if it is just a case of adding one last story with links to this forum and the SL Site. How is the plan for the blog going?

I have been doing some tidying up on the SL Site and I was wondering if the home page there might not suffice as our news page. It is easy to edit and we are not exactly snowed under with news as it is. Just a thought.

I have spoken to one of the Wikipedia moderators about why the links I posted were removed from the Civilization 2 page. I can see the reasons why the links were taken down though I don't necessarily agree with them 100%. By their rules some of the existing links should be taken down and some of the others are of little use to Civ fans really. Still I can see they have to have rules to keep things under control so I won't push the point.

There is a link to a page about Apolyton so hopefully we can be found through that, as long as the Civ2 news page is updated

Sorry if anyone is getting sick of all my posting recently. I will calm down soon. I am just in the middle of a manic reorganization/consolidation/planning session during my week off work. I even tidied my study! I have so many projects on the go, both Civ2 and other, and I want to get on top of everything so that I can keep things tickling over steadily without keep getting in a muddle.
              Last edited by McMonkey; June 12, 2009, 06:10.
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I have asked in the staff forum if there is any way to add a final news story with a couple of links but nobody has replied. Its been a few weeks and I have bumped the thread a few times. I know they must be busy but it is not nice being ignored. Any response, good or bad, is better than silence!
                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I guess they must have their hands full.

I think the best thing to do is for us to open a Ning of Blogger account for news.

Ning is good because it is easy to update with events, news and images, and
                  also it is not totally spammed out with google bots (like blogger) I think this
                  is the best option...I have been using Ning communities for comics and it
                  really transformed the comic scene in Glasgow...It really got things going!

We can have a sticky thread with a link to the 'CIV2 Scenario League News' Ning...
                  I reckon we just go ahead and start our own news page! I could set it up quickly.

What say you, McMonkey - ?

Comment

I say go for it! All publicity is good publicity. Get it set up and we can experiment as we go along.
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I have been playing in earnest single player and man, I have been so immersed in that old "....one more turn..." syndrome.

Is there anything I can help promote, not taking anything from here, just want to be able to post other locations as well

Im no expert, but have been reading and rereading posts and some articles......

Its amazing how a few tweaks here and there in ones game really makes a difference.

I didnt want to thread jack my good fellow civers, just felt it was very important to remember that outside of the core community, many lurkers read and try to play.

Again, not an expert but would challenge anyone here that they have a better time than I playing.

My wife came in and was saying she hasnt seen me this enthralled in a game for a long time!

Ok, just wanted to share why I think getting the news spread will reap rewards...........

Grandpa the Grateful
                      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Thanks Gramps Its the lurkers and casual gamers that we want to attract to this forum and the SL Site. It is very rewarding to know that the Scenario you slaved over is being enjoyed by Civ players out there. Civ2 will never regain the popularity of its hay day but it refuses to die. I know there are a lot of old fans who return to the game and get hooked all over again. There are also a load of new players who have got hold of old copies in bargain bins or as part of the Chronicles (I think that's what it was called) box set. It is so simple to learn to play and yet so complex to master. I have been playing for a decade and I am still learning new tricks. Glad you are enjoying the gaming and the forum Gramps. Keep on Civing
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                        SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by McMonkey View Post
                          I have asked in the staff forum if there is any way to add a final news story with a couple of links but nobody has replied. Its been a few weeks and I have bumped the thread a few times. I know they must be busy but it is not nice being ignored. Any response, good or bad, is better than silence!
                          My mistake. Robert Plomp did reply on the 20th June but I somehow missed his post. I will whip up a news story with some links to our Forum, SL Site, News page (which can help the blog be found later on), Info page and Facebook page.
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Robert very kindly updated the news page for us. Now anyone browsing the Civ2 section of Apolyton will see there is still life here and the links should take them straight to where they want to go. We should remember to update it in 2010!
                            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                            X