Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question about unit obsoleting

OK, so I'm new at this.

I've looked over the rules.txt, and saw that you can have units become obsolete with certain technologies, but how do you control what is the replacement unit, via Leo's.

I mean, if I have a unit go obsolete with a certain tech, and introduce 2 new units with that tech, how does the game know which one to transform my old unit into?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the game generally will look to any unit that is not obsolete and which fulfills the same "role". But Leo's is an extremely unpredictable wonder that needs a lot of playtesting to get right. Various factors may come into it, including A/D/M and HP/FP for units.

I also seem to recall that the Musketeer slot has something hardcoded into it to make all units to the left of it in the graphics file obsolete regardless of what the rules.txt says. This may apply solely to vanilla Civ2 though.

Anybody more informed able to help?
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
      It's been a while, but I seem to recall the game generally will look to any unit that is not obsolete and which fulfills the same "role". But Leo's is an extremely unpredictable wonder that needs a lot of playtesting to get right. Various factors may come into it, including A/D/M and HP/FP for units.

I also seem to recall that the Musketeer slot has something hardcoded into it to make all units to the left of it in the graphics file obsolete regardless of what the rules.txt says. This may apply solely to vanilla Civ2 though.

Anybody more informed able to help?
      No it is not all the units to the left of musketeer. Its all land units with the same movement and inferior combat stats. And is triggered only when you discover gunpowder. And its even more complicated than that. There is also the Knight slot to worry about.

Father Beast, everyting you need to know is somewhere here.

This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

OK, I'm just going to have to experiment.

Kobayashi, both your links are for the same thing, the SLeague tips section, which doesn't seem to have anything specifically on this.

I am going to try to fix the mom jr. scenario. I built their version of Leo's, but it was useless because no units (except spearmen) ever went obsolete.
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Working...
        X