Mars Now for FW problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars Now for FW problems

OK, so I've played the scenario a few times, and it's a lot of fun..., BUT there's also some problems with it.

mostly having to do with the tech tree. I got the tech for heavy trucks (freight) long before I got the tech for sideshow (caravan).

Now that's not that much of a problem, but what really Irritated me was when I got the tech for tree farm (stock exchange) before I got the tech for Climate Station (bank). Here I had the tech for something I couldn't build until I got another tech, at which time I could suddenly build both.

Now it seems to me that you shouldn't be able to do that. a natural prerequisite for an advanced tech of something should be the intermediate version. I should be required to get the tech for university on the way to getting research labs. It just makes sense.

Of course, to fix these things, I would have to go in and rebuild the tech tree. While searching I ran across someone who adapted this scenario for TOT. Does anyone know if he addressed these tech tree issues?

My only other gripe is a matter of balance. in all 3 games I've played, each time I got the tech for 689 day calendar (Oracle), it was already expired by my own research. I guess I haven't been doing research in a way the designer anticipated.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Hi there!

I think fixing these issues could be pretty simple.

The expiry tech on the oracle could be made nil, and matching up the improvements with some appropriate techs would be straightforward. No harm in doing it either, I have had to make changes to a few of my favourite scenarios too. Like moving Glasgow to the West coast of Scotland in 1870.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

according to a posting I found, someone had adapted the scenario for TOT, and I was wondering if any of this stuff got addressed in that adaptation.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

I don't have an answer to your question, but with so many better Sci-Fi Scenarios available, maybe you should just move on from Mars Now now?

there is a collection of good quality Sci-Fi scenarios here

good hunting
        This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

it took me a while to find someplace that had the TOT mars now scen., but I got it and will look the rules.txt over to see if these improvements were made.

If not, I guess I have some work to do.

------------------------------------

Huh. It turns out not to be so difficult. The problem is dead end techs. one dead end tech has both the bank and the caravan, so it's easy to miss if you're intent on getting someplace else.

So i took the dead end ones I saw and put them as preqs for techs on the path to bigger and better things. there are a lot of techs with just one preq in this scenario, so it was fairly easy.

The TOT scenario gave me some ideas, as he did fix these things there, but I couldn't use the thing entire, because it has a lot of upgrades that take advantage of the TOT engine.
          Last edited by Father Beast; April 30, 2009, 10:33. Reason: follow up

Comment

Working...
          X