Show and tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show and tell

Had a really fun day out yesterday at Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset taking a look behind the scenes and getting my hands on some cool weapons

The highlight of the day was seeing the fully restored Tiger tank driving from the workshop back into the museum. The one pictured was captured by the British in Tunisia in 1943 after a fierce battle. During the fight a solid shot round from a British 6pdr wedged between the gun mantle and the hull and jammed the turret traverse. The crew panicked and abandoned the vehicle. For some unknown reason they did set the vehicle to self destruct and the still top secret weapon was captured by the allies.

To see this thing up close is an awe inspiring experience. The engine starting up sounds like a hundred cars backfiring and the sound of the metal tracks scraping against concrete is just terrifying! Drinks a fair amount of fuel too!!
    Attached Files
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Some of the other vehicles that caught my eye. I was surprised with the quality of photos I managed with my mobile camera, amazing this modern fangled technology! If you ever get the chance to visit the museum I would highly recommend it. Perfect for all you WWII nuts
    Attached Files
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Superb imagery - Love the armour on display!

The Tiger and Tiger II photos are enough to make a man long for some 88mm action!
      (ahem!)

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
      http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Awesome pics!

Comment

Awesome! Wished to see a Tiger Tank in action too one day

When I was studying in Freiburg our course made a field trip to a ww2 museum at the Maginot line, where the "Führer" had visited after the breakthrough. There also was, as far as I remeber correctly, some cruel story about two Alsac brothers which fought there against each other at this area, one with the Allies and the other as a German recruit.
          I could see a Sherman tank there, which was very amazing, but unfortunatley they didn't drive it
          Deutscher Meister 2004: WERDER BREMEN

Comment

It is easy to develop a cosy view of warfare when you spend a lot of time moving tiny pixelated units around a screen. When you see these brutes up close it makes you appreciate the terrible destructive power of warfare. The Tiger is just a colossal, roaring industrial killing machine. Terrible and wonderful at the same time. Although the museum is in a relatively remote location it is well worth the visit if you ever get the chance. Here is a link to their website:
            http://www.tankmuseum.org/
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
            X