Making a map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a map

I've jsut realized that I must stop playing life stealing MMOs and play more old school games (they're just as fun, and not that time consuming). So I just felt like making a map for Civ2 from scratch. Now I guess noone wanna do it for me, so I guess I have to do it myself I have several pictures of the map, but does anybody have any good strategies? I've seen some of you making a grid on your pictures, and just creating it by looking at that picture. But how do I make a good grid?

As I said, I got many more or less detailed pictures of the map, so that's not a problem. I want it to be a Giga map (of course) and i guess the map (or parts of it) can be used for several scenarios, although I'm not sure I'll make one (I haven't finished a scenario yet).

Any help is useful (as I said, I don't think anyone wanna do this gigamap from scratch except for me)

Edit: And how do i start the map? I don't even know how many squares it needs or anything.
    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Is it a world map, or a specific area?
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would work out the shape of the map first by making a scan or photocopy and drawing a box around the area you want to make. Then you need to use the map editor to make the map on there the right height x length. This may take a little playing around to get right. Next draw a grid this map using tundra or whatever (4x4 or 5x5 squares work well). Add up the number of squares on each axis then measure your paper map dimensions. Divide the dimensions by the number of squares (IE 120cm divided by 30 squares = 4cm per square on the paper map). Draw the grid on the paper map and check it matches the one on the editor. Start copying across square by square. Once you have the shape of the landmass set out add rivers, then mountains and so on. Remember to plot the locations of key cities before you blend out the grid. That's how I do things anyway. Its slow but it produces very accurate looking maps.
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
      SL INFORMATION THREAD
      CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

@ Curt: it's actually this map:

@ McMonkey: Thanks, that's a really good strategy. Only problem is that I don't have a printer. I wonder if there's any way to do it on the computer. Also, I have no idea how to determine the height x length when I start the map. I guess one can always change the dimensions in Jorrits Map edit, though.

So anyone know how to make a grid for the map?

Comment

Btw, should the grid be diagonally? i mean since the squares in Civ2 are diagonall, if you know what I mean.
          / \
          \ /

Comment

I hope this is sufficiently useful:

Comment

Nice Warcraft map!
              AKA Tanelorn.
              Big, big smile.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Gelion! I guess I'll have to get an advanced program to do this. But at least I got an idea of what needs to be done

Comment

That's actually the in game map of Azeroth. And btw, I'm griding it atm! Feels good to learn Photoshop again.

Comment

I've mapped the continents and now it's bedtime. I like the map, though it's a bit small. Is there an easy way to double the size with a program, instad of doing it from scratch? i think I've done it with a map before, but I can't recall how I did it.

Comment

I would draw and a grid using paint or some such program. That's how I made the map for my latest scenario (see attached). I use a horizontal/vertical lined map as it is a guide rather than a square by square plan. Getting the map the right size may take a bit of playing around as I think it needs to be twice as high as it is long (or it it the other way?).
                      Attached Files
                      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                      SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

And how it turned out after copying across:
                        Attached Files
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                        SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

On a side note McMonkey, how is the balkan wars scenario progressing?

Comment

So here's my first map (75x105). I decided I want a bigger map so i'm working on a map that is twice as big. I will start by just making the same map, though using four squares as one (did that even make sence?). So I will do that, and then I will use my more detailed maps to make it better. Then it's time for terrain placing etc.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Juggler View Post
                              On a side note McMonkey, how is the balkan wars scenario progressing?
                              I could not find the Balkan Wars thread so I will answer briefly here. It is still in the back of my mind but I think I will probably try to adapt it as a MGE multiplayer game as I don't have the time or the patience to battle with the stupid AI. I have no objections to someone working out some events with me if they like but I cannot see myself working alone on a single player version! I will probably try and finish it off once my current project is finished. Thanks for the interest.
                              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                              X