No announcement yet.

A Soaring Spirit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have temporarily changed a unit into a Mv=99 and 2 square visibility aircraft, used CHEAT to change to a particular civ and create the a/c, and flown the a/c around to reveal the terrain appropriate for that civ. Using CHEAT, the a/c can be refueled in flight as needed.

Not a very elegant solution but it does work. Save constantly in case the a/c wanders too far into hostile territory and you need to backtrack.
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Thanks Agri, but I have done all that. The Phoenicians, Etruscans and Lydians all have separate views already as does Athens. What I wanted to do is share Athens map with the Ionians, Spartans and Corinthians to save having to repeat the revealing process another three times. I tried to get nations to swap maps through the Foreign Minister but the ultra aggressive MGE AI won't play nice and share. In the past (IE when I made Aeterna Civitas) I used the Civ Diplomacy PBEM utility to swap maps. For some reason I cannot get this to work. When I try to load up the .net file it does not show up in the list (see screenshot). The save called SOARING.sav shows up but all the other .net and .sav files are not there. I can't figure out how it can see some files in the folder but not others!?! In fact the SOARING.sav is no longer in the main folder (I put it in a sub folder as a backup) so CivDip seems to be stuck at a historical point. Is there a way to refresh it so it can see what is in the folder now? Hope that makes sense.
      Attached Files
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
      SL INFORMATION THREAD
      CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Javier (aka Yaroslav) has very kindly fixed the save file for me and hopefully we can work out the problems with CivDip for future reference. While the map issue has been being sorted out I have been busy putting the final touches to the game and will upload the files to the Scenario League within the next few days. If anyone would like to play-test the game please let me know. Bear in mind it is currently optimized for multiplayer.

As I think I said before, I am looking at converting this scenario to ToT and optimizing it for single player. I think the best approach would be to make specific events for the three central Greek states of Sparta, Corinth and Athens. As there is a lot of colonization involved the ToT events will probably be crucial for making this work. I am also thinking about making a ToT version of Aeterna Civitas II for single player. Nichael from Civ Fanatics has already made a modified MGE single player version which I will add to the SL site at some point this week.
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

A SOARING SPIRIT RELEASED

I have just finished work on 'A Soaring Spirit'. Please take a look here: A Soaring Spirit at the Scenario League for more information and the download.

At the moment the game is tailored for multiplayer (PBEM) games and the AI might not be very challenging until the Persian Invasions begin. A single player Test of Time version is in the pipeline. The current MGE version may give you a few hours enjoyment on a rainy day, but don't expect a major challenge!

I would appreciate any comments and any suggestions for the single player ToT version.

SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I knew there would be something I had forgotten. Made a mistake with the Persian events. I will upload version 1.1. If you plan to play this scenario please download the new version which will be available later today.
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Fixed. v1.1 now available!
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Would some kind soul mind converting 'A Soaring Spirit' to ToT for me? I have been trying but no matter how simple I keep it I cannot get the MS-Dos/CivConverter thing to work. I understand the principle and I have managed to get it to work in the past but once again I am getting frustrated with it! I will keep trying as I would like to know how to use it properly.

I don't need any of the graphics or text files to be converted, just the scenario file itself. I can do the rest myself.

Thanks
                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I sympathize, MM: all my attempts to convert MGE scenarios to ToT have ended in failure.

One thing you could change is the barb cities - they all seem to wind up with a population of 1, meaning you can't conquer them, you can only sack them. I think this might have to do with the barbs having no visiblity outside their cities...
                  The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
                  2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

Thanks Ghost. I had completely forgotten that lesson from Aeterna Civitas. The cure is to set the Fortress unit to have a visibility of two then reveal the barbarian map and put a new Fortress in each city. Time consuming but essential!

The frustrating thing about CivConverter is that I understand how it should work and I have got it to work in the past, but I must be getting one of the commands slightly wrong and I can't work out which one. I will have a fresh go today and if I find an easy solution I will let you know
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Problem fixed. v1.2 now available at the Scenario League.
                      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                      SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

great scenario!!! mcmonkey!
                        Can we have a SP version for this scenario?... I lov it... butt i m not players for pbem game =/
                        (Sorry for my bad english...)^^

Comment

Glad you like it I'm playing a PBEM game at CivWebring at the moment and even if I do say so myself it is a lot of fun. I wanted to make it a game of exploration and expansion to begin with and later on a game of trade and warfare.

Getting it to work in single player mode is a different matter! The beauty of multiplayer games is that the human players can navigate over long distances, expand in a coordinated manner, fight wars and trade over great distances. The AI will struggle with all of these things unless given loads of help via events.

Once I have finished off Aeterna Civitas III I might start planning a SP version. Don't expect to see it any time soon though!
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                          X