Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Civ2: Test of Time Vista Patch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a Civ2: Test of Time Vista Patch?

Hey guys,

I recently bought a new laptop & tried playing my Civ2: Test of Time on it. & discovered it crashed (multiple times over multiple tries)?

I think it has something to do w/ Vista.

Can anyone point me in the direction of maybe a patch? to make ToT operate correctly?

I saw this one:

But have absolutely no idea as to what it actually does.

Any help would be appreciated because I've really enjoyed this game & really don't have the funds to go out & buy one of the newer ones that is operable on Vista.

Thanks.

I think the problem is Vista, not the lack of a patch.

Vista is new, it's modern, it's the latest and greatest...it is however not backwards compatible with moldy old 16-bit programs like Civ2. At least that's how I think the stuff I read boils down.

If I am right, dust off your old box and play on it. Strip it of all unneeded programs and add memory if you need it. Otherwise, look around for a cheap, old, clunker computer to fill the bill. One must do what is necessary to feed one's addiction to Civ2.

Hope this helps,
    Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

bah!!
      hang, hang, hang, stop, resend, double post

Monk

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
        I think the problem is Vista, not the lack of a patch.

Vista is new, it's modern, it's the latest and greatest...it is however not backwards compatible with moldy old 16-bit programs like Civ2. At least that's how I think the stuff I read boils down.
        I know its a Vista issue as opposed to a Civ2 issue.

Removing my operating program & replacing it w/ an older one really doesn't help, especially considering the Windows people have discontinued the older ones.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a patch out there that I could download to make my old Civ program work w/ my new OS.

Comment

What about compatibility mode? Just right-click on the ToT executable file icon, go to the compatibility tab, and set it to Windows 9x.

Comment

Originally posted by semi234
            I know its a Vista issue as opposed to a Civ2 issue.

Removing my operating program & replacing it w/ an older one really doesn't help, especially considering the Windows people have discontinued the older ones.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a patch out there that I could download to make my old Civ program work w/ my new OS.
            Any patch would have to come from Microsoft (making Vista able to handle 16-bit programs). I have heard that they did not include this because of security reasons. Perhaps it would open a security hole that MS does not want to spend the time/money developing a solution. I think your best bet is to contact MS. Maybe they have already done something for this issue.

Since that seems unlikely I also suggested you use another computer for Civ2.

Also, I seem to recall ToT has a tendency to crash a lot anyway.

Good luck,
            Monk

Comment

Hi all. I'm Dave, just joined. I thought I'd post here because I happen to have played Civilization II: Test of Time on my Vista laptop just the other day. It ran perfectly fine from a fresh install so I don't think it's a Vista issue.

Have you upgraded Vista to Service Pack 1? If not, perhaps it could help. The problem could also be a problem with your graphics card or drivers.

Also, I installed from Civilization Chronicles using a different installer than the original game. Chronicles installs the original Civilization as well as all the Civilization II games from one installer, so I can't guarantee that your version will work on Vista, only that the game itself does run fine on a Vista machine.

Good luck finding a fix,

Dave

Comment

I found that I couldn't play a lot of game on Vista - instead of looking for patches and upgrades, I installed Microsoft Virtual PC with Windows XP. Works prefectly for me :-)

Comment

Vista 64 cannot run 16 bit programs at all. Microsoft removed the 16-bit subsystem from 64-bit Vista. If you are using Vista 64, that would explain why you can't run it.

You might be able to run it on virtual PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X