Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy Guide, Rule book... FAQ...?

hi-

As I mentioned in another post, I did not get any kind of manual or book with my (legitimately purchased) CD. (The only reason I know some things is because typos (like hitting "u" when I meant to hit "i" result in an informative error!).

Is there a strategy guide or book or something that can be downloaded or purchased...anything at all?

thanks,
    Laurie

PS Question 2:
    If I create a caravan or freight, and it establishes a trade route... do I get some income from that source every turn, or only once... or something in between?

ta!

Laurie,

I'm not sure about other Civ sites for strategy guides, but you can find a lot of strategies and hints in the 'Great Library' thread at the top of the Strategy board. Also, a lot of the concepts of the game are explained in the Civilopedia under 'Help' on ToT... but I'm sure you found that...

Trade routes: When you send a freight or caravan into another city it creates a trade route - which does has an immediate effect listed as a revenue reward in the dialogue box that appears. There's also an amount of beakers immediately added to your research equal to the amount of gold added to your treasury. For some reason this science boost isn't mentioned onscreen, or in the manual either (I think).

On an ongoing basis, the trade route will also add trade arrows to both the sending and receiving cities. The amount of trade is shown on the city screen (e.g. "Bapedi Silk >< 2") on a per turn basis. Trade arrows will become either gold or research beakers or luxuries, depending on your tax/science/luxury settings for your civ and the elvises/taxmen/scientists you may have working in the city.

Gosh, that seemed simpler when I was thinking of the answer...

STYOM
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man on 03-22-2001 12:25 AM
      Laurie,

I'm not sure about other Civ sites for strategy guides,

------

STYOM
      Thank you for the reply. The trade answer is great.

As far as I know, this site is IT as far as Civ sites... at least ones that can be found by searching the way I was looking. I'll check out the thread you mention.

thanks again,
      Laurie-- who wishes she had a good alias to use on here :-)

Comment

Hmph, if you want my manual, you can have it. I guess its useful if you're just getting into the game but I'm sure just about everyone here would offer it to you if you really wanted it.

Edit: Y'know Six Thousand Year Old Man... I've ALWAYS wondered about your name... it seems too much of a coincidence...
        [This message has been edited by SixArmedMan (edited March 22, 2001).]

Comment

Really? If you'd like to lend me your manual for a small amount of time, I'd be very grateful, and promise to send some form of Australian junk ^M^M^M^M memorabilia in return... contact me privately for my addy..

thanks!
          Laurie

[quote]Originally posted by SixArmedMan on 03-22-2001 04:13 AM
          Hmph, if you want my manual, you can have it. I guess its useful if you're just getting into the game but I'm sure just about everyone here would offer it to you if you really wanted it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SixArmedMan on 03-22-2001 04:13 AM
            Edit: Y'know Six Thousand Year Old Man... I've ALWAYS wondered about your name... it seems too much of a coincidence...
            [This message has been edited by SixArmedMan (edited March 22, 2001).]

Yeah, I just noticed your locale. Coincidence, I tink? Then again, I don't get your six armed reference... I'm sure the the nickname I chose is painfully obvious, in Civ terms. But then, I wanted to post something fast and didn't have time to think of anything reaaaallly clever.

STYOM

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Laurie: Check your private messages!

Six Thousand: Oh, my reference... Well, it's just a stupid name I came up while playing some game. It's one of those names that are just hilariously funny at first but really loses it humour value over time. This name kinda' lost its value a LONG time ago... *sigh*. Anyways... If you think YOUR name was hastily made...

Comment

STYOM, I think you've got a good name ...
                But why not Six Thousand and Twenty ?

------------------
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
                Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 03-23-2001 04:45 AM
                  STYOM, I think you've got a good name ...
                  But why not Six Thousand and Twenty ?

Thanks!

And I'll blame the nick on, as we say in the investment trade, "rounding error".

Until recently I rarely had occasion to play past 2000AD, and didn't notice retirement age in CivII was 6020 instead of 6000. That's mainly a factor of playing a lot on Prince/King/Emperor and a lot less on Deity

STYOM

Comment

Working...
                  X