Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Extended Orig. Game. Little help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Extended Orig. Game. Little help?

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before, but I can't find it anywhere. For some reason, I can't ever research Ultrastring or play on Centaurus when my spaceship lands. I just keep having to research Future Technologies. I've installed the patch 1.01 and started a new game because I know that it won't affect saved games, but I still have the same issue. Is there something I'm missing? I'd really appreciate any help someone can offer. Thanks.

Last I heard (which was quite a while ago) was this was a bug that is supposedly fixed with the patch, but still shows up sometimes. Hopefully someone knows a workaround, but I unfortunately do not.

Comment

I guess a workaround would be to mess with the rules.txt and allow ultrasting to be researched after the discovery of fusion power or some other tech... Not the ideal solution but the only viable one unfortunately, short of messing with the cheat menu...

Comment

Actualyl you already need Fusion Power to research Ultrastring Theory. that's why the Aliens can never win by reasearch; they can't possess Fusion Power (wreaks havoc in Games where the human plays as the aliens (I love this challenge, it's soooo fun).

Are you sure you have all the necessary techs?? And if yo uweren't the first or second civ to land the spaceship you won't get any units on the planet (or so I have heard, I'm always first).

Comment

Umm... Where did you come up with this? The pre-reqs in the rules.txt for ultrastring are listed as nil and nil. It was an issue that was never properly fixed by the patch.

Comment

Yes, I've got all the techs (I just keep researching future technology because there's nothing else to do). I'm also the first civilization to land my ship, so I don't think that's got anything to do with it. Any other ideas?

Comment

Ya know what, I was wrong in my earlier post, it's not UT that the Aliens can't research, it's somethign further down the line (two techs before Trans., I can't remember the name)

Comment

Uh, how 'bout changing the rules.txt? If you don't, well, then... that's a different story I guess... Sheesh, couldn't someone else explain how to change it?

Comment

Off the bat, I've never struck this problem, so I'm not sure how this may differ from the set up of those that do.

As a first measure, ensure that the events.txt file contains the following;

@IF
                  AlphaCentauriArrival
                  race=anybody
                  size=anysize
                  @THEN
                  EnableTechnology
                  whom=everybody
                  technology=63
                  value=0
                  CreateUnit
                  owner=TriggerAttacker
                  unit=Colonist
                  veteran=No
                  homecity=none
                  randomize
                  locations
                  endlocations
                  @ENDIF

That 'should' make Ultrastring available to everyone once someone's landed on Alpha Centauri.

As a very poor workaround, you might look at making it available with (say) Stealth + Environmentalism and changing the value in @Civilize2 for plumbing from '1 ; Plu' to '0 ; Plu'.

Comment

Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot!

Comment

Working...
                    X