Test of Time help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test of Time help.

I recently got Test of Time (for Christmas), and I'm getting around to trying out some of the custom scenarios I've seen. However, a seem to have a bit of a problem with the custom unit graphics. Whenever I start a scenario with custom unit graphics, they appear only briefly before being replaced with the regular graphics. This leads to some pretty bizarre incogruities, like missionaries looking like cruisers. The custom graphics do appear in the 'pedia correctly though, so that (and the fact that the custom graphics show up briefly at the start) shows that the game at least knows they are there.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what causes this?

It is caused by the sprites overriding costumized units icons.
    Try removing the *.spr files (espeicially from your "original" folder): You could either delete them (then you'll lose them until you reinstall ToT - but this would also free some space on your harddisk) or you could move them temporarily into another folder (preferably a new subdirectory) - in the letter case it would be easier to restore the unit sprites...
    Civilization Webring Forum

Comment

Releated to this. In the Fantasy game, I want to change the Stygian settler so it uses the Elf settler graphic.

If I was to edit the Units.bmp file by copying the E settler graphic onto where the S settler is, and copying the E settler .spr file over the S settler file?

E settler should be Unit72.spr
      S settler should be Unit73.spr

Would this be effective?
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Well, I've just tried removing the sprites files, but it has had no effect whatsoever.

James Fox

Comment

I've done things like thta for scenarios, heres how to do it:
          1. Copy the graphic of the unit in units.bmp
          2. Count the units until you get to the unit you want to replace, do the same with the unit you want to replace it with. Remember that the units start at 0, so the first unit is counted as 0
          3. Copy the unitXX.spr of the unit that you will be repacing the old one with, and rename it to the number of the unit you want to replace. I suggest that you back up the original somewhere
          4. Hope that you didnt screw up :P
          -Variety is the spice of life, but it gives me indegestion-
          "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." -- Dan Quayle

Comment

Mouse & James Fox,

Don't forget to also remove (or rename or move) the Static.spr file from your Original folder.

If you only remove (or replace) the UnitXX.spr files and modify the Units.bmp this won't be enough.

(The Static.spr file contains the "factory standard" static views of the units and isn't actually needed is you have the Units.bmp file.)

John Possidente (ex Microprose) put in a post regarding this in the early days of ToT but I can't remember where that post is / was, so here is another forum post with the relevant quote in it.
            http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum29/HTML/000431.html

And here's a bit more wisdom from an ancient post :

"you will have to rename the static.spr file in each directory as well so your static frames fall back to the units.bmp file. That hides the first-frame-static-image altogether so the game falls back on the units.bmp icon for the unit. That way, you can keep the existing units animated and still stick in your own."

Comment

Is there a utility anywhere for modifying the static.spr file?
              There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

I think I remember somebody saying they had developed a 200MB utility to do that... but never released it...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DarthVeda on 01-12-2001 10:00 AM
                  I think I remember somebody saying they had developed a 200MB utility to do that... but never released it...

Isn't DracoOmega (?sp) making a sprite editor? But it hasn't been released yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X