2 Simple questions on TOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Simple questions on TOT

Well, I finally got around to playing TOT. Been Civing for 8 years now, but my time isn't what it once was...

Here's the deal:

1.) In the extended original game (with alien civ) my spaceship lands on Centaurus and nothing happens. Eventually 3 competing civs all landed on Centaurus and none of us are colonizing. Shouldn't I get some settlers or something? Years have gone by and I still have no presence of Centaurus. What am I missing?

2.) In the Fantasy senario (I've only played once for a short time). I have a G Cray Wolf which is supposed to be able to use tunnel enterances, but I have no clue how to get him to go down the tunnel. He just walks over it like any other terrain. Nothing in the menus (that I can find); nothing in the manual or Civilopedia; again, what am I missing?

This is the reason I returned fantastic worlds and found few modpacks I have really enjoyed: really poor documentaion when you stray from the standard game (which remains the greatest game of all time).

Thanks for you help, back to crushing orcs in IceWind Dale for now,
    Dande

The number of Colonists you receive when you land on AC is related to the number of Habitation Modules you built on the spaceship. I have only played this once, but I went for the max. number of Hab. modules, and received something like 2-3 Colonists and 2-3 military units.

I am just finishing my first Fantasy game. The standard keystroke for all units that can use tunnel entrances is 'n'.

Comment

Andromeda,

Thanks for the tip on changing worlds. It still didn't work but at least told it was unavailible at this time. I obviously was not at a point where I was allowed to move between worlds. It also explains why it was not availible in my "orders" menu.

As for the colonists on Centaurus, I built a ship with 2 hab, 2 life support, and 2 solar modules and got no settlers. I had like a 89-95% success rate. Could I have had my first unsuccessful flight in 8 years?

Thanks again,
      Dande

Comment

I'm not sure this helps ,but did you install the ToT Patch? They said to have fixed this Centaurus bug in the readme file.

Anyway you should be able to build QT-Portals so colonizing Centaurus shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Okay, perhaps one of these questions wasn't so easy. I thought I had installed the 1.1 patch. Just to be sure, I reinstalled the 1.1 patch and replayed the landing of my ship on Centaurus: again, no settlers after two years.

Could having an alien race living on Centaurus make a difference. I know it shouldn't, but...i'm grasping at straws here.

Thanks for your suggestions,
          dande

Comment

habitation....colonists
            modules

[This message has been edited by Civmaniac (edited July 14, 2000).]
            Test of Time
            Buy it now!

Comment

Hey Dande, same problem here. Landed and got nada. Then I downloaded the 1.1 patch, installed it, went back to a prelanding save, saw that I had unltrstring theory as a research option, landed, got nothing, researched and developed US, now building starports, still nothing in 2013. Where's tha payoff? Is there a 1.3 patch, I thought I saw a comment to that effect ont he Hasbro website but not finding it anywhere. Thanks brothers.

Comment

Enigma,

Thanks, I'm not crazy!!!!! I was beginning to wonder.

I've had a flash. I remember reading somewhere about saved games not being effected by upgrades (like patches) and that new games must be started for changes to take effect. I can't remember where I read this or what it pertained to (TOT, Call to Power, or some other game?). Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Anyway, I'll start a game over with the patch installed (although I still think I had it installed from the start?). It just may take me a few weeks to get a ship to land on Centaurus again. Vacation comes in August, then I will become one with TOT!!!

Comment

Hey Dande, glad at least two of us are in the same spaceship. Open the pod bay doors, HAL!

There's no way to test it but by trial and error, but when I picked up after installing the patch, I was able to develop Ultrastring Theory and the succeeding advances. SO the system picked up at least part of the patch.

I have way too much invested in expended time and wife brownie points in this now month old game to have to start from scratch. Anybody else got any suggestions?

At this point I may try starting a cheat game in 1999, just for yuks to test the patch. Will let you know.

Comment

I just bought ToT tonight. I've been playing civ2 for 3½ years and i decided i would give another one a shot....

Where can I get that patch? Is it here on Apolyton? I would like to get that installed before I experince the problems of these other players.

------------------
                    SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                    -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                    "It's just a flesh wound!"
                    - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

Just a stab in the dark:
                      As I've had occasional problems with the macro language so make sure you check your events file, maybe the computer can't find it or something is wrong with it.

Comment

I had the same problem. Patch installed, new game, landed. No colonists. I had something that looked like colonists but they were called "extra ship." They were in the water and couldn't go on to the land. I think this is a bug.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by dande on 07-14-2000 01:14 PM
                          I had like a 89-95% success rate.

Maybe (sorry to put forward an answer with 'maybe', but I'm not sure!), the event doesn't trigger correctly with a less than 100% success rate. There is an 'anysize' parameter, but even still, it might require a round 100% to work(?).

The Patch is downloadable from apolyton.net/cgi-bin/civ2files/file.pl?id=334

Comment

In the one extended game I've played to completion thus far, I did land colonists and marines on AC; I beleive I did run the patch prior to game start.

In the Fantasy game, I quickly learned that the units normally able to use a transport site would fail if the terrain on 'the other side' was impassable for that unit, or held an 'enemy' unit. If the terrain is impassable for the building unit, the unit will refuse to build the transport site in the first place, but since dwarves and goblin miners can both 'pass impassable', that generally isn't a problem for them.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I tested the above theory. Started a new, post-patch-installation game. Cheated like Bill Clinton to build myself a ship in under 10 turns. And yes, I advanced the game clock to the 1900's. (Cheating this much is almost as much work as playing the game fair and square!) Launched a ship with 3 hab modules, got a successful landing dialog box, could even toggle to Centaurus using the Select Map command in the Maps menu bar item, but no colonists appeared. And FYI, I had enabled reveal map so i would know what was going on everywhere. Saw the Centaurans, but no settlers. This appears to be a genuine screw up and boy am I annoyed!

I e mailed microprose tech support with this question on Saturday. Wait and see what (if anything) they sayI guess.

In the meantime, Dande et al, keep me posted. I find it hard to believe that with all the smack-talk about how good various posters are and how fast they beat the AI, none of the smack-talkers have the solution. Gentlemen, prove yourselves!

Comment

Working...
                              X