Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modifying Units in the fantasy game

Arrgh.
    I tried swqapping two units in the fantasy game, to each other's slots.

I swapped their lines in the rules.txt file, in both unit tables. I swapped their descriptions in the describe file (and their describe indices point to each one's correct text). I swapped their images in units.bmp. I swapped their spr files (which worked). My problem is that somehow for the cases where the unit is not animated, the game finds their original images and therefore shows the wrong image for each unit.

This is true even after starting a new game, it has nothing to do with remembered data.

What OTHER place do I have to swap the units????

- toby

------------------
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com

Based on your description as to what you have done, my guess is that you have not moved / renamed / deleted the static.spr file in the Fantasy directory.

Hint from John Possidente from Microprose in order to get the Units in the
    Units.bmp to appear properly :

"The pictures in units.bmp are used in the Civilopedia and the build selection menu,
    but evidently nowhere else; as long as the game can find the animation files,
    it uses the first frame of each as the icon for the unit. These animation files, one for each unit, provide the animations--movement, attack, dying, and so on. The first frame of each animation file is also used, in many places, as the static icon for the unit. So, you can change things in units.bmp, but never see them in the game, except in odd places like the production choice menu. "

"The static frame is first looked for in static.spr if there is no static.spr then it should look to the units.bmp file. To fix this, you must go out into the game directory and rename the unit##.spr file for every unit that you made a new image for. In addition to renaming the unit*.spr files so they are not used you will have to rename the static.spr file in each directory as well so your static frames fall back to the units.bmp file. That hides the unit animation, and the first-frame-static-image altogether so the game falls back on the units.bmp icon for the unit. That way, you can keep the existing units animated and still stick in your own."

Comment

Working...
    X