Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get Ally With Frost Giants

Hi Guys,

I have been playing with the ToT Fantasy Game and I am having a problem getting Ally with Frost Giants. I know this is one of the ones you can get with a "Quest" but I can't figure out how.

I have tried to bribe a Frost Giant, this worked with a Dwarf, but it didn't work. Do you have to kill one, like you do with Dragons? Is there something in the game that only allows you to get one or the other? In other words, if you have Ally with Dwarves you can't get Ally with Frost Giants. Or, can you only get Ally with Frost Giants if you are a certain race or do/don't have certain technologies?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to your replies.

Timothy Pintello

Say thank you to William Keenan for this. If it doesn't solve your problem, search on "frost" for other posts.

Actually you do have to bribe them. Your problem stems from a bug in ToT: the results of the EnableTechnology command in the events macro language are not saved in the SAV (save game)file. To fix this download and install ToT patch 1.1 http://www.civ2.com/news/article_004.html .
    The bad news is that patch will not fix existing SAV files, so , you will have to start your game over from scratch after installing the patch.

Comment

Hi Bromely,

Thanks for your response. I will try what you suggest.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

Hi,
        It doesn't work to bribe them, you
        get the frost giant that you bribe,
        but that's all you get.

What you need to do is discover Weirding
        Call, then every turn there is a 1/150
        (or some fraction like that) that you
        automatically will get Ally with Frost Giants,
        a message pops up, something like
        "A strange wierding all is heard, and
        the race of Frost Giants offers to
        help the (put your civ here) cause."

You can also trade for it or steal it if
        some other race has it.
        jm

Comment

Hi Jimm,

Thanks for the input. That makes more sense of my experience than the other post. Even with the patch, bribing the giant didn't get me Ally with Frost Giants. I thought there was a bug in the game. Now I know how it really works. These are the kinds of things I really wished were put in the manual.

So, let me do a run down of how you get the different special technologies.

Dragon Lore: Kill a dragon. No easy task. Also, in relation to this, what is the difference between an Ancient Dragon and a regular Dragon. Killing either one will get you Dragon Lore.

Ally with Dwarves: Bribe a Dwarf, unless you are the Stygians, in which case you automatically get this one early in the game.

Ally with Frost Giants: Discover Weirding Call and at some point after that you will get Ally with Frost Giants. Also related to this, in a different thread it said that you had to be the first to discover Weirding Call, is this correct?

Timothy Pintello

[This message has been edited by Pintello (edited September 26, 2000).]
          [This message has been edited by Pintello (edited September 26, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Pintello on 09-26-2000 10:11 AM
            Dragon Lore: Kill a dragon. No easy task. Also, in relation to this, what is the difference between an Ancient Dragon and a regular Dragon. Killing either one will get you Dragon Lore.

I believe the difference is there's only one Ancient Dragon in the game (located underground in a particular cavern), and killing it also has other effects. Dragons are more normal barbarian units that show up every now and then and rampage across the land. So you're much more likely to get Dragon Lore from killing a regular Dragon (it's not that hard with mid-game units).

Comment

Why don't you go to events.txt and search for 'Frost Giant'? That will give you the answer for sure. Same for the ancient dragon.

I have found many useful information in the file. For example, a dragon appears exactly 100 (? not remember clearly) turns (in a perticular place) after you see a certain piece of message ...
              [This message has been edited by Xin Yu (edited September 26, 2000).]

Comment

Working...
              X