Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the wonder movies? Why's it so ugly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the wonder movies? Why's it so ugly?

Just got a copy of TOT this morning, and my god it's a disappointment. There are better scenarios for free on Apolyton than the "three games in one". Are there actually wonder movies? I can't seem to find any. And the original game looks so dull and lifeless - floating whales don't make up for it. It's also weirdly slow and jerky (on a Celeron 400), which I don't get at all. I can run normal Civ2 on my 486 laptop, perfectly smoothly.

Am I missing something here, or has Microprose really taken Civ2 and done their best to stuff it up? Haven't been this disappointed since, oh, Call to Power...

Try turning off animations if you need resources (You do this by deleting/renaming the .spr files or installing without sprites).

Funny, I could run it on my P-133MHz w/48 MB RAM just fine.

To answer your question on the wonder movies: No, they are gone. They've been removed to save space on the CD (A precious item in this case... they even blew off the scenario editors and map editor). For what though? 2 movies on wether you win or lose, in addition to the old one that isn't used, 2 new intro movies (that are way longer than the older one), and about 15 movies depicting the wizard coming to life in Midgard. Not the best use of space I'd say.

If you want wonder videos, copy them from your old copies of civ2 into your directory for ToT, OR just stick an old Civ2 CD into the CDROM drive.

Buying it this morning and passing judgement on it in a day is impressive... you had time to play all those scenarios through in one day? I doubt it...

Let's see what they've added: 64 Million color graphics, extended macro language, unit sprites, two well supported scenarios, a third for free online, more units, multimaps, and so on.

What were you expecting? This is about as far as they could push the engine. It doesn't get any better for Civ2. This is it; end of the line; finito; the last stop, and so on.

Stick around though... I'm working pretty hard on a slick WW2 Scenario at the moment.

Comment

Just playing on Earth for the moment (if I want to play on AC I'll play SMAC), I was expecting at least some upgraded graphics and some improved AI - but the graphics seem WORSE than Civ 2. That's what's bothering me - they're more pixellated and grimmer-looking than the five-year old version. I just wanted to play hot seat Civ 2, normal version, and was surprised to find it slow (the music stuttering) and rather ugly.

And yes, I just got it this morning, so these are just first impressions - but they're pretty damning first impressions. At the moment I'm happier playing with normal Civ2. Which is disappointing.

Comment

I'll give you that the graphics are homely as a mule's ass... that's why I've replaced them all. (might as well toss the .spr files while your at it).

I just look at ToT as another add-on to Civ2 and nothing special by itself...

Comment

Are you really working on a WW2 scenario?
          I really need one.
          I need a WW2 scenario who:
          1. Works fine on CIV2 ToT
          2. Includes the whole world (Japan, for exanple).

If this scenario answers all of these, please e-mail me to: herzig@surfree.net.il as soon as you finish or put a reply message HERE (although i will prefer an e-mail message).

Comment

Have you tried any of the other games? The SciFi or Fantasy games? I don't even bother with the original game. Like you said, if I wanted to play that, I would play original Civ2. I like Extended game and SciFi. I only gave the Fanatasy game a short trial, and I was doing horrible, so I'll leave that for some other time. I personally find the Earth graphics to be the worst in the game, so don't go by them. Granted they don't improve much through the rest of the game... but still! ToT has really grown on me. When I first started it, I thought I was going to hate it. but now I'm really startibng to like it, a lot. Just give it some time Jeremy.

------------------
            SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
            -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
            "It's just a flesh wound!"
            - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

Jeremy, there is a patch for TOT that lightens the terrain so that its much easier to see and the units much easier to see too. Its somewhere in the database, just search for TOT files. Also, if you don't like the city screen, you can change it back to the default under the "view" heading.
              I didn't know it was a Penis when I bought it.

Comment

The graphics in ToT are awesome! But I believe that I'm one of just a few who think so.

The game itself is pretty good also. Some improvements over Civ II may go unnoticed, like the more aggressive AI and the smaller bonus for trade routes (that may seem like just a small improvement, but it makes a huge contribution to a more balanced game). There are also numerous novelties, like new unit functions, ways of winning, lots of extra things a player has to do in the extended game, two convincing new games. The fantasy and sci-fi worlds go beyond what any scenario has done so far. Once you start to consider it as a Civ 2.5 rather than an entirely new game, you do get to appreciate it.

Now if only it wouldn't be so bug infested...

------------------
                Hasdrubal's Home.
                Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.
                Hasdrubal's Home.
                Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

I bought TOT on Saturday and at first thought exactly the same. But then I installed the lighter terrains, and turned off the sprites and now I'm hooked. Give it time

Comment

Check out my other post: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum29/H...tml?date=11:00
                    -Variety is the spice of life, but it gives me indegestion-
                    "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." -- Dan Quayle

Comment

Working...
                    X