Differences in TOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in TOT

In Civ 2 I now the rules file very well, but I just got TOT and I was wandering what the differences between Civ 2 rules file and TOT rules file. Thanx
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

I'd be the first to admit that on initial inspection, rules.txt for ToT appears to be the drunken loquacious brother of the rules.txt we've all learned to at least come to terms with!

I'd direct you to some of the excellent Scenario League Design Tips that William Keenan has played a hand in (refer link to the League at the footer of this page) but in a nutshell...

(a.) ToT lets you fiddle with the Civilization score more - a Wonder may be worth five points or twenty - it's up to you!

(b.) Alpha Centauri landing doesn't necessarily end the game, but can give you bonus points.

(c.) Refinement of the score penalty for polluted squares.

(d.) Can Helicopters pick up goodie huts? You decide

(e.) A new city improvement that allows map-jumping!

(f.) More unit slots.

(g.) Map terrain data for worlds #2, #3, and #4, or is that #1, #2, and #3 because programmers start from #0??? b.t.w. - no more Domain 3 units - terrain may now be identified as 'impassable'!

(h.) New settler-type command; 'j' builds a transporter for map-to-map jumping.

(i.) Civilize2 and Leaders2 allows tech's to be handled by tribe in an arguably neater way than the old 'once removed' - 'twice removed' method... although if you like the old way, it still works!

(j.) Much better definition (j-1) on which tribes can build which units (j-2) which units can 'exist' on which map, (j-3) un-bribable units or minimum gold to bribe units, (j-4) which units can build inter-map transport, use several maps, or indeed can jump from map to map without the use of a transporter - i.e. native ability, (j-5) which units are invisible until you attempt to move into their square, (j-6) units you can't disband, (j-7) units that can pass over impassable terrain, (j-8) barbarians that don't disappear just because they wander near a coast or into unexplored territory - yay!!!

(k.) Which tribes begin the game on which map (given that there may be up to four maps where tribes may begin their games)

(l.) Better handling and allocation of sounds for different units.

Was that "in a nutshell"???

Again, I encourage you to dabble with the Scenario League's Design Tips section that relate directly to aspects such as inter-map transport and civilize2-leaders2 - both of which are embraced in the 'new look' rules.txt.

Comment

I may have misunderstood one of the items in your post.

What do you mean "b.t.w. - no more Domain 3 units".

Domain 3 Units still appear to work for me in ToT (That is, they can move on land or sea, can attack Land or Sea Units, when on land can be attacked by Land Units or Sea Units or Air Units or domain 3 units, when at sea can be attacked by only Sea or Air or domain 3 units.)

(What doesn't work in ToT which did in previous versions of CIV2 is the ability to 'terraform' Ocean to Land by altering the @TERRAIN parameters, as far as I have been able to determine so far).

Note that these tests were carried out with the original, unpatched Civ2 -ToT.

Do Domain 3 units work for anyone else in ToT ?

Comment

Kestrel,

Apologies - I wasn't clear. I meant that rather than needing to use Domain 3 units as a technique to create impassable terrain, you may now allot 'impassability' to a terrain type(s). I've not tested whether Domain 3 units still work or not with ToT (1.0 or 1.1) but have no reason to assume that they don't, and indeed your own application of them clearly indicate that they're still very much an option for designers.

Also, (b.) - I meant a bonus for being the first to land on Alpha Centauri.

b.t.w. - well done on your excellent efforts to date!

Comment

Cam,

Thanks both for the clarification and the praise.

Regards,

Kestrel.

Comment

Domain 3 units do in fact work in ToT.

2 cents is all i have.

Comment

I posted this in another thread awhile back, but it seems appropriate to post it here, too.

You can build cities on impassable terrain.

In the SF game, Environeers can enter 'impassable terrain', and I have built cities on both 'acid shallows' (Funestis), and 'beacon' (Orbital) terrain. Contrary to my own expectations, my own ground units could not enter the cities, although air units could.

I am not sure of the strategic implications, since neither city was ever attacked (both were 'interior' cities).

I haven't tried this with the fantasy game, but I can't see it being different with dwrves and goblin miners in bedrock--lord knows, I've seen the AI plant enough fortresses there...
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

ToT has lots of new stuff:
                Tribe Limits
                Map Limits
                Unbribale units
                Multi map attributes
                Invisable units
                UnDisbanable units
                Natural Flight
                Cross impasable
                Test of Time
                Buy it now!

Comment

Where is the Scenario League's design tip sheet for ToT?

Comment

Just to advise that the Scenario League's site has had an update with the addition of Darth Veda's Design Tip on the technology handling within Test of Time: 'Getting @Civilize2 and @Leader2 to work for you!' at sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/sldt_tot_civ2lead2_trick.shtml .

The index of Design Tips can be found at sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/tips_main.shtml

Comment

Working...
                    X