Aggressive AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive AI

Is the AI aggressive in ToT like it is in MGE? Or is it the more passive type(!) that is in the original (v2.42) CivII?

------------------
    SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
    -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
    "It's just a flesh wound!"
    - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

I don't own MPGE but I am well aware of the issue you raise. I believe that it is the more hostile version, which has played havoc with my OCC landing dates!

Comment

What's the deal with the AI sending an Emissary just to say "We have been insulted for the last time!" and then declaring war on me?? I never remember seeing that in Civ2. They would always just sneak-attack me

------------------
      SandMonkey

-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"

Comment

I've only played MGE once, so I'm not sure wether it uses that AI. But it certainly doesn't use the 2.42 one. ToT is much more aggressive.

------------------
        Hasdrubal's Home.
        Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.
        Hasdrubal's Home.
        Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

The AI is messed up! It kept declaring war on me early in the game... but by the end of the game, they were perfectly nice and I did not hear a word from them. I even had an alliance for a few hundred years at the end. I think the key, though, is that I was not the most powerful.

------------------
          SandMonkey

-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"

Comment

I think certain generalizations about the AI based from other's experiences (including my own).

1) If the CPU has significantly more units than you, it'll act aggressively and most likely declare war.

2) If you approximately match the CPU in units, it'll almost always ask for peace.

3) If you have an advantage over the CPU, in terms of unit count, the CPU will ask for peace AND will usually pay tribute if asked.

4) If the player has more units AND much better tech than the AI, than ALL civs, for some really annoying reason, become hostile, ally with one another, and sneak attack you or try their very best to provoke you into attacking them.

I suppose most players at the beginning of the game, don't focus much on military whereas the CPU will slack off on tech development and pump out many more units than one would deem necessary. This'd explain why the CPU is so aggressive in the beginning and much less so, later on, when the player has matched the CPU in units and is usually superior to it, techwise.

[This message has been edited by SixArmedMan (edited July 17, 2000).]

Comment

So basically the AI is going to attack you early, make peace with you for a short time in the mid-game, and then attack you later. Sheesh, almost seems easier to just wipe their lazy butts off the face of the map....

------------------
              SandMonkey

-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"

Comment

In my short experience with TOT, I find the AI much more aggressive than Civ2. After reading the above posts, I can see why. I regularly have a skeletal military presence (enough to defend myself, but not much more) and am way ahead in tech. If you can keep your tech up, you need less units to defend.

However, the AI seems to have less respect for me in TOT: it focuses on numbers and not so much tech advantage. And when I am really dominating a game, they don't hesitate to team up against me. They usually all sign aggression pacs against me.

The AI also seems much more willing to use nuclear weapons in TOT. I don't know if I ever once built SDI or nuclear missles in my years playing Civ2. The AI seemed afraid to launch a first strike. In TOT I've have been nuked every time!!!

It has been great fun to have my lazy, well-devloped gameplan challenged!!!

To become static is to die; to be active is to live.

Comment

I always try and build SDI in all my cities. The AI will ALWAYS find that one city without it. Also, a good way to keep the AI from nuking you is not letting them build the Manhatten project (or the equivelent) Just send in a spy and cause a little industrial sabotage to their wonder production

------------------
                  SandMonkey

-Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"

Comment

Working...
                  X