Solo, 1 on 1, or Multi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo, 1 on 1, or Multi?

I'm trying to get a feel for the audience today (think of it as a marketing/focus group, CurtSibling ). Which kind of ToT scenario would you prefer to play, scenarios that are intended you vs AI, you vs 1 other human, or you vs a pack of humans? [Edit] Deleted repeated stuff [/Edit]
    1 player vs AI
    68.42%
    Human vs Human, pbem
    5.26%
    Human vs Human, hotseat or LAN
    5.26%
    Multiplayer (even if some players have minor roles)
    10.53%
    Multiplayer (only if all players have major roles)
    0.00%
    Other (please explain)
    0.00%
    What's a scenario?
    0.00%
    What's ToT?
    0.00%
    What's a banana?
    10.53%
    Last edited by Boco; June 4, 2008, 21:45.
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Voted fo 1 vs AI, not because it is what I prefer (human opponents woudl, of course, be more interesting than the AI) but because it is the most convenient: playing multiplayer scenarios isn't really practical for me, and PBEM is much too slow...

And of course ToT has enough events capacities to overcome a lot of AI inconsistencies...
    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

I started out playing single player and moved into multiplayer games at Civ Webring which I now prefer. Its very tricky and time consuming to get a single player game to work as intended. Multiplayer ones are quicker and easier to build and you can see the fruits of your labour when playing your creations against other people.

I would be interested in playing a ToT multiplayer game. I played Jerec in a two player game of Pablostuka's Spanish Civil War and it was a blast. Finding enough reliable players with a copy of ToT may be hard.
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
      SL INFORMATION THREAD
      CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

I like to play against the AI - !

While predictable...Rules/Events can be used to make the AI formidable.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I opt for playing the AI.

As in some other fields of endeavour, one can always play by oneself when suitable other participants are impossible to come by.
          Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
          Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I play single-player.
              The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
              2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

I've played single player (in this and other games) vastly more than multiplayer, so while I agree that the AI is terrible...it is something less demanding, as a player.

If I want to play oh, Kingdoms of Steel, I can play that against the AI whenever I feel like it. And stop whenever I feel like it. Which is nice.

Also, with singleplayer, you can design it so only one faction is meant for play, and such scenarios can be quite interesting. Multiplayer demands multiple playable factions, which means that all of them have to be interesting to a player.

And its just habit. I'm used to singleplayer. Several scenarios out there I would like to play multiplayer, but I'm in no hurry.

Comment

Solitary activities

Sometimes, I sit and think.
                  Other times, I just sit.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like AI bashing is still king at the league. Do they play ToT at the Civ2 Webring? How easy is it to drum up an opponent for a 1 on 1 there?
                  El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

We have not played any ToT games at Civ Webring that I am aware of but I would be up for it. I for one would be willing to play a 1vs1 game. The SCW game against Jerec was a blast, especially as the pace was very fast with 1+ turns per day.

The pace of games at Civ Webring is usually quite high but when you have several players it is common for someone to be away on holiday etc... The key is to be involved in several games so you always have one or two turns to play every day. The diplomacy and allied co-operation elements as well as trade are key parts of multiplayer games and are on a different scale to single player games.

Anyone who is interested should come and visit. Most players are willing to speak English and you can always use a free translator to communicate with German only speakers. The language thing has rarely been a problem as a German/English speaker can always help with translation should it be required.

I think Fortress Europe will be my last attempt at a single player game. In future I will probably stick to multiplayer design.
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                    X