Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question(s)

It might have been asked before, but I can't find it:

Why are the city names not resetting on normal Earth - ie. I played as the Aztecs in one game, used more names than the Aztecs had and then on my next game (Egyptians) I got the two last names on the list followed by other non-egyptian names.

All I want it to do is reset the city names so that my capital is always Thebes, London etc and my provicial towns have the right names.

Also, I've just played a Midgard game (loved it) but couldn't build a Siege Engine. I was playing as Elves and read somewhere that there was a bug with Elves and Humans.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Bromley,

The questions really aren't that "newbie-like'!

As far as I'm aware there's a little 'hang-over' from old games that kicks in at times and messes with the city names offered. In order to overcome this, just restart Test of Time from scratch when commencing a new game (i.e. exit the program then re-start). This also happened with 'traditional' Civ2. Should you wish to change the city names in a game you already have going, go to 'View' > 'City Layout' to toggle the city view between the old and new layouts of the city screens, then select your city and 'Rename' given that you're looking at the old / traditional city information screen layout. The 'rename' option is not available in ToT's new city information screen layout.

As far as the Seige Engine, I believe you need to secure the Huginn and Muninn advance to get the Deus Ex Machina wonder (Apollo). This, from memory, is done with the Brian's Expedition quest (be the tribe to build the Wonder {Magellan} and wait up to 30 turns for the advance to be given to you). The Seige Engine parts should be researchable.

As far as the bug relating to Elves and Humans, this is unknown to me. I'm wondering if you've installed the patch? See Apolyton's Civ2 main page. I believe there was a problem with the Huginn and Muninn advance 'disappearing' if you saved a game after you received it and then reloaded it before building Brian's Expedition, although John Poss' indicated that the patch fixed this quirk.

Hope that all helps!

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited May 29, 2000).]

Comment

Thanks Cam. You were right, I restarted on a random world (not the pre-made Earth map) and the names have reset.

I'll have another stab at the Midgard scenario when I have a spare week!

Comment

lol - on the Migard scenario - I totally understand. I've not ever played the game to the rainbow bridge thingie end, always going the 'spaceship' route.

Both Midgard and Time Threat Paradox are very lengthy scenarios - wouldn't it be nice if Mick brought out another nonetheless?

Comment

Let me get this straight...there is a rename function? Because if there is...I'm going to kick myself.
          Das Wasser soll dein Spiegel sein
          Erst wenn es glatt ist, wirst du sehen
          Wieviel Märchen dir noch bleibt
          und um Erlösung wirst du flehen.

The water shall be your mirror
          Only when it's smooth you will see
          How much fairy-tale is left for you
          And you will beg for deliverance.

'Alter Mann', RAMMSTEIN.

Comment

Start kicking, Dan!

Oh, and it gets better (In TOT, at least): I discovered that when you peek into a city using a spy, you can rename that city!!!
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Cam-

This may be the first and only time I know something about civ that you don't, so I'm gonna jump on it!

In TOT, renaming is accomplished by simply clicking the city name...

Comment

Shamrock,

Dammit you're right!

Actually if you know anything at all about hex editing (beyond a basic grasp of the hexadecimal numbering system... ie how to count) or know how to win an OCC using ToT with a landing before 1922, you're still ahead!

Comment

two quaestros:
                  How can you tell which version of Civ2:ToT you have, and what sites host online ToT play? Thanks.

------------------
                  Emperor Max Power
                  Emperor Max Power

Comment

online sites?? no idea

version if you just instllrd it from disk you have 1.0 if ya have installed the only patch for it ya have 1.1 those are the only 2 versions. i hope

Comment

Max

Version number is visible in Game options [Ctrl+O] (I think)!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X