Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• debug.txt

Hi,

I am relatively new to the world of events, flags, triggers, etc. however the civ script files are written so they are pretty easy to understand. I am trying to figure out how "deep" did civ2.exe allow the events files to access the internal game mechanics.

I was studying the macro language used, when I ran into debug.txt (in my ToT). It looks to me as though as it is prepared to be used with a game editor of some kind?

Can anyone clarify about this for me?

VetLegion,

Hmmm, debug.txt in Test of Time appears to be a blend of editor menus from Fantastic Worlds, plus other menu titles from files (such as the traditional game.txt). Generally as a rule of thumb you can edit anything that doesn't have a '@" before it, and don't just delete lines. As far as scenario editors for Test of Time, it's probably just a hangover or unfinished work (much as the multiplayer options in text files in pre-MPGE versions of Civ).

William Keenan and I have written some really superb tips on events et al that are posted in the Scenario League sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/tips_main.shtml and The Cradle of Civilization sites civ.cx/dur-kurigalzu.html if you've yet to see them.

In terms of "how deep", generally an events file will override conditions in the rules.txt, and a scenario file will do the same. For instance, if you create a unit on a map with events where the unit in rules.txt shouldn't be allowed to exist on the map, the events file will "win" and the unit will be created. If you set the tech' paradigm in a scenario file (via the cheat menu), it will override any changes made to the rules.txt tech' paradigm. (Maybe that's not what you're after...???)

Comment

Cam,

Thanks for the link. I wish there was one document with all the tips, so I could read it offline (internet expensive here ).

Anyway, my field of interest is not to create a scenario. I am trying to learn how is it done in civ2, for game design purposes

Here is exactly what I want to know (and dracon asked):
      http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum6/HT...tml?date=23:14

Comment

Working...
      X