Initial position and extra advances, in the fantasy game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial position and extra advances, in the fantasy game

I recently started a deity game playing goblins. My two initial goblin miners were placed in a truly terrible position, an archipelago with hardly any developable land or specials. As a result, I was showered with extra advances (five or six) and was able to get to fanatacism before 3000 b.c. (Goblins with fanatacism really rock at deity level!)

What's interesting here is that my starting position was actually excellent, and it was "unfair" of the game to give me all those extra advances. After a few turns I tunnelled down underground and found a terrific position. In addition, the third goblin I received from the turn 2 "event" showed up in another excellent location.

Basically, the game only seems to look at map zero and to decide how good your starting position is, so it can be extra kind or unkind to you as a result.

- toby

------------------
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com

If I remember correctly, you're right that the code only looks at the starting map position to determine what extras should be given. It's not a perfect solution, but because so many units (and tribes) don't have the ability to escape their starting map, it seemed like the smart thing to do.

Comment

Working...
    X