Case of the missing unit indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case of the missing unit indicator

Hello all. I have a question regarding playing Multiplayer ToT on the internet. Well, a problem really.

You see, when the game starts, everything goes ok. But as the game goes along, I usually lose the blinking unit indicator (the yellow square that is under the active unit). Even with animated units on, I still cant see whose active and who isnt, because the units "stop" moving. I press the [C] key to center the map on the unit, but it gets frustrating. I can move the unit just fine, but 'finding' that unit is the toughie. Especially units in cities.

It usually happenes if I am negotiating with another player. Also when I right click on the map, I see the white square for a second, then it disappears again.

This has happened on 2 seperate occations.

Can anyone solve the case?
    thanks.

Well, I can only confirm it happened to me too. I have no clue as to what could be the source for it.

Comment

It sounds like the processing speed is slowing down so much (due to lots going on, I guess) that the less important visual functions are being sacrificed. That's a common issue with multiplayer Civ games. If this is the case, I can offer a couple of suggestions:

1) Make sure none of the players (including you) has other programs running in the background while the game is going on. (Sometimes it can be difficult to find them all.)

2) If you haven't already, turn off some of the details, like the terrain animations. You'd be surprised how much speed this can give you.

3) Call MicroProse customer service and see if they know of any bugs--and fixes for them--that would cause your specific situation.

Good luck.

Comment

Yea, the indicator is still there, it's just blinking slower--much slower, about once every year (JK). If you wait for a few seconds you probably will see it again.

Comment

The fix for this that I found is to click on the rotating globe map to turn it into the "flat" world map.

Mark
          main(i,_){for(!_||(--i,main(i+2,i["FHhhTBFHdhTBFBQT\2TBF&]zRF$hh*:FHhh+&FBIsbDF"]));
          i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_^=_,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Mark -*/

Comment

So if I was playing multiplayer through The Zone, that would slow down the processing speed? Maybe I should stick to IP connection.

Comment

Working...
            X