Okay, this is strange....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, this is strange....

I browsed through all the old threads, but I didn't see any of them with this on it, so I'll start this thread:

In the Rules.txt, underneath the advances, there is that famous message:
    quote:

;
    ; Above 11 tech slots (U1 to X8) allow you to define your own
    ; civilization advances if desired. Supply the name, the AI
    ; value, and the prerequisites.
    ;

But there are only 10 slots to change (U1-X7). So, I thought this was jsut a careless mishap of my own doing, and added a new tech down there. Crash. I took it back out, and it worked fine. So then I started thinking along some different lines, and I decided to try replaing every single prerequsite with "nil". That crashed too. Even just changing one damn thing on the tech tree will send it belly up. What is going on??????????

Send me the rules.txt file.

Comment

I checked the regular rules.txt, and it's the same thing, U1-X7. So just look at the regular one and you'll see what I'm saying. I can do without that slot, but it still bothers me.

BTW, I may as well ask this here...

I was also looking at the Units_Advanced thing, and it only goes to Test Unit 8, like they just pasted that from MGE. It works fine when you paste the other ones in there, but this too, is very strange.

Does LEADERS2 have a purpose? I suppose it may say so in the manual, but I lost that in the move from Omaha to San Francisco...

Comment

First of all there is no tech X8. It does not exist. It goes from U1 to X7, for a total of 10 techs.

The @Units and @Units_Advanced each must contain 80 entries, no more, no less.

Leaders2 and Civilize2 work together to detirmine which civs can research/know which technologies. For a more indepth definition search this fourm - there are several.

Comment

If there is no tech X8, then why does that sentence say there is one?

If the @Units_Advanced must contain 80 entries, then why did the Original Game Rules.txt only have 61?

Gotcha, I'll check in the back shelves...

Comment

It's got the same stuff in it that the Extended game does. And all I wanted to do was to make sure my tech tree is working (As it is now...), prerequisites, obsolesence, etc. without as much clutter to sift through. Later I was planning on cutting and pasting it into the extended game file.

I'm still familiarizing myself with certain aspects of the TOT rules.txt, and I thought it would be easier to do that in the Original game file.

This scen I've been working on, has been talked about since July, and as it's been going slowly. I figured I'd just tinker for awhile, but I actually got a lot of work done in one weekend (Tech tree, Units and Unit Stats, all cities placed...), and then I saw some of this stuff that really confused me.

Eddie slips away to try out the Extended Game files...

Comment

Why would you choose to edit the Original Game rules.txt when you could have edited the Extended Game rules.txt?

Comment

Plu is the missing tech.
                "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
                -OOTS

Comment

Working...
                X