Merfolk (peace) won't remove troops!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merfolk (peace) won't remove troops!?

What's going on when you insist on a peaceful AI removing its troops, and it insists it has no troops in your cities?

A Merman was clearly inside my city limit. I insisted on its removal, and got this "no troops" response. I tried to send an emissary at once again, and the merfolk would not even talk to me. A few turns later, I was abel to get the troops removed.

If you are a democracy (greatlaw) and a tribe you are at peace with refuses to remove troops, you are caught between a rock and a hard place...
    - toby

------------------
    toby robison
    criticalpaths@mindspring.com
    toby robison

Was the offending unit a non-attacking one? I don't believe the AI recognizes Caravans, Diplomats, etc. as "troops" in that situation.

Comment

The Merman IS an attacking troop.
      - toby

------------------
      toby robison
      toby robison

Comment

Yes. Thought perhaps you were using "mermen" as a general term for merfolk units (as we sometimes do in-house). Just checking.

Comment

They might have a city nearby, and It is still in it's City Zone.

------------------
          "It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver" - Jean de La Fontaine

Comment

Rathgar1, that's an interesting idea. In this case my city is on a small island, so I know there is no merfolk city overlapping it. In fact, a few turns later I was able to tell a merman to get off the exact same square for being in my city.
            However, there is a mefolk city directly UNDERNEATH; my city is on the surface, its city is underseas...

-toby

------------------
            toby robison
            toby robison

Comment

I have encountered this same problem two or three times (over many years) with CIV2.
              I usually took the view that no offence was intended (perhaps the unit was off-duty or something !), and the unit usually wandered away a few turns later.
              Seems like a rare bug in the AI.

Comment

After some more experience with this problem, I think it is a feature, not a bug. I have been at war with the goblins; when we temporarily make peace, it often refuses to removes troops, claiming it has none in my territory. One time it ignored the presence of two ogres and two trolls in my cities. Using "cheat" and reveal world, I've made sure there were no goblin cities within three squares of these troops.

I think that a tribe that has it in for you is just likely to refuse to remove troops. After all, that's what WE do to provoke the Ai tribes to break treaties, isn't it?

Had anyone had this experience with a relatively cooperative, peaceful tribe?

-toby

------------------
                toby robison
                toby robison

Comment

The only time I have problems with enemy encroachment is when we are not getting along. But usually there is a enemy city nearby. It doesn't work both ways.
                  In my ToT Extended Game, I had built my city three squares South of Liverpool, and a Rifleman was fortified one square north of mine. They kept demanding that I remove my troops every time I put them there.
                  By the way, does placing troops in enemy territory, and/or removing them when asked helpor hurt diplomatic options in any way?

Comment

Doesn't refusing to remove troops hurt your rep? I thought it was the same as if you broke the treaty. (This is the logical counterpart to the way you get no penalty if the AI breaks treaty instead of removing troops).

I wouldn't know. I'm sickeningly honourable and always remove my troops.

Comment

Hi,

I've had the same problems with Styigans and
                      Mermen. In those cases the offending
                      units were ones with native transport from
                      map to map, and I wonder if for some reason
                      the AI thought that they were in the
                      underworld or undersea when i was looking at
                      them inside my city limits.

Comment

Working...
                      X