Just what is known about .spr files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what is known about .spr files?

Since I dicided that I might take a peek at the inside of thoese files and try to figure them out, I was wonderering if anything at all is known about the file's structure. Any little detail would be of great help. I was also wondering if anyone knows why MicroProse won't release the format. They give us the tools to make scenarios, but not all of them. It doesn't make much sense.

Mostly we haven't released the format because we're part of a larger company now, which means we would have to go through many levels of asking for permission, which would take a lot of time and trouble and probably involve the legal department. Sigh. Believe me, we'd like to. It just seems like such a chore that no one has the motivation to start the process.

Comment

I understand that your hands are pretty much tied in this case. Oh well.

I've begun working on it myself today and have had so unusual results. Although the game crashes on a lot of my changes, I've been able to alter the frame order in some wierd ways. I have a good idea what part of the file controls it but I'm not sure exactally how it does. Some alterations made the settles move really funny. They walked sideways or crawled or spun their shovel around like a tornado while they moved.

This is my first real file I've tried to figure out. I don't know if I'll make any progress but I hope so.

Comment

Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Comment

Just a little update on my progress.

I've almost finished figuring out the file format. I'd estimate about 90-95% complete. The only thing that I havn't quite got yet are some of the animation controls(I have most of them figured out) and a few things in the frame header.

I've only been working at this for a day or two thought so they should be finished soon.

When I have it all, I'm going to write a small program to create and edit spr files. You'll be able to import bitmaps as frames.

This opens up a lot of new posibilities to scenario developers. I can't wait until it's finished.

Comment

Draco - nor can I! Well done on what seems tremendous progress to date!

Comment

Working...
            X