The death of Scenarios ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of Scenarios ?

Very true.... Scenarios are a large investment and TOT is really USER UNFRIENDLY..... I agree with your statement...
    Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

How is ToT user unfriendly???

It's exactly the same file types (except sprites) and easily toggled on/off switches for those sprites.

Comment

The death of Scenarios ?

One of reasons that CIV2 still has the great following years after it came out was the scenarios and those who created them.
      Test of Time and especially Call to Power are so incredibly UN-user friendly in the creation of scenarios that those two games will have about as much "staying" power as my ex-wife had
      By the time people finally get the hang of making them CIV3 will probably be out.!!!

Comment

To me at least it's the animated sprites that make TOT a more unique CIV experience.
        Some will say its being able to have multiple maps. I think the "multiple" maps has already been "overdone" . Four in the Fantasy and Midgard, multiple maps in the Sci-Fi and extended Game, multiple maps in the Time scenario.
        Would be nice to see some "single" map scenarios.
        Unless someone can create new sprites though
        that would only be like playing CivMGE all over again.

Comment

I very much hope that it's not the 'death'. I think ToT offers some exciting possibilities, although to do much 'beyond Civ2 MPGE' as Ace suggests, does require some 'learning curve climbing'.

The linked map issue is perhaps one of the more complicated lessons to learn, and I 'take my hat off' to my colleague William Keenan for making this much clearer for 'us wee novices' in his tip at sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/sldt_tot_worlds.shtml

The animated sprites are a little constrictive, however with the three games there's a range of over 200 units (I haven't counted) before you need start toggling off the animations.

The extra possibilities with the new events structure is likewise an area of intrigue - both the 'flags and masks' as well as new triggers and actions.

Personally I would have loved a library of extra sprites, an easy to use sprite development kit, greater options with 'mix and match' terrain sprites (e.g. placing some fantasy animation sprites in with some original game terrain sprites on the same map), and some extra help on a few of the technical matters - although with that said, I'd like to thank John, Mick, and others from the ToT team for their guidance offered through these Apolyton boards.

The Scenario League is keen to receive ToT development guidelines from anyone who would like to contribute their experiences in this area.

Already we've been treated with two excellent official scenarios that go some way to show off part of ToT's depth, and there's been practical progress from within the community by people such as Kestrel and Giant Squid who've each taken on the challenge early in developing ToT creations of their own. The Scenario Design Contest will be a catalyst I hope for more creativity in this realm - hac.apolyton.net/sdc3.shtml

Death? Let's hope Rebirth!

Comment

Well, the scenario I have in the works is only a single map scenario.

Comment

Death of scenario making? I think not. ToT opens a new universe of possibilities in scenario building. Better graphics, more maps, greater event possibilities, more units, more unit abilities, and more flexibility in the tech tree modification just to name a few.

While on a queue for a gourmet smorgasbord I overheard a young boy complain to his father that he would rather be eating at McDonalds. I did not share his feeling.

Comment

Well, actually i hope I'm wrong as I love playing good scenarios.
                One final question though.
                Why is it that in virtually every scenario
                I've ever seen you have to turn off the diplomacy screen as the image would not resemble the nation you are conversing with ??
                Only the original game matches up the right leader pic.
                Is it that new leader pics can not be added to scenarios or none of the scenario creators think it's important ?? Leaves a sorta empty feeling always having diplomacy with faceless diplomats don't ya think ?

Comment

Well, leader portraits are locked up in .dll files, I'm afraid, so only the most hardcore designers would edit them.

Comment

Hmmmm... well that sorta sums up my feeling.
                    Why do you "damn near" need to be a programmer just to make scenarios for the best strategy game series of all time ??
                    Most real-time games and most turn-based strategy games have very easy editors to create maps , victory conditions, players etc.
                    I sure hope CIV3 will be better than its predecessors in this area.. sigh...
                    Anyway, thanks foe responding y'all

Comment

Most real-time games and most turn-based strategy games have very easy editors to create maps , victory conditions, players etc.

Do they allow the creation of new units?:-)

------------------
                      St. Leo
                      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

No...
                        That answer your question or was that defending the game. Hehehe, first of let me re-state.
                        My choice for the number one all time strategy game = the CIV series
                        No need to defend it. With that said. I would think after all these years, Microprose, soon to be Firaxis, Activision, or whomever would at least realize that CIV's "diplomcy" needed updating and improving and could of (1) program a way to enter a leaders pics in a scenario,(2) better verbal responses, (3) more diplomacy directions
                        I applaud all those who the last several years diligently create scenarios, icons etc..
                        Isn't it about time though those companies started making it easier for you ???

Comment

Working...
                        X