• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Cam

<<< Standing Ovation >>>

Nice job!

Comment

Well, thanks, but it's hardly groundbreaking stuff - but at least we all know now! It will give any scenario with a 'search and destroy' element greater replayability no doubt, and this is only extended upon through the 'flag and mask' possibilities and the 'extra random features' add in ToT's events macro language.

Comment

Can you associate other files with .alt files?, e.g, your .alt files has a different events.txt to the main .scn

Comment

Yep!

The file names in my testing being; Events.txt, Events2.alt, Events3.alt, and Events4.alt . Note, the events are not necessarily connected to the broader scenario alternate file, so you can have the file 'Crud3.alt' working with 'Events2.alt' in one game and the next time 'Crud3.alt' pops up it could be working with 'Events4.alt'.

Comment

one word comes to mind Cam ... Tip.

Comment

So there is no way of linking a specific events file to an alternate scenario, if I am reading that last post correctly?

I have just got ToT for Xmas and am currently working on a Fantasy scenario which uses the alternate random scenario selection. I have also come up with a way to link the .alt to one events file and have it make sense for each alt scenario . I was going to submit this as a tip after the scenario got made...
              [This message has been edited by Miner (edited December 30, 1999).]

Comment

Cam, what about other files? rules, units? game?

This is cool stuff folks. Expect to see some of it in my next scenario. And this time I'm NOT letting Mike Jeszenka review it. He'll go apoplectic

Comment

William,

Love them tips! Happy to do so - particularly as I don't think it's ever been covered (that is, this hasn't been addressed for pre-ToT Civ2). It'll be a introductory ToT level tip too, which will help balance what I hope will be plenty more advanced level ToT guides in the Scenario League Design Tips section.

Dracon,

I'm not sure, and that's one that will need testing again, but I'd imagine that it would be 'do-able'.

Miner,

Oh no - I'm not saying it can't be done, (never say never!). I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly or not, but if there's no aternate events file (i.e. only events.txt) the game will use that file regardless of which scenario version comes up. However, it seems from what you're saying (reading it another way) that you have been able to link the scenario variants (e.g. Crud.scn, Crud2.alt, Crud3.alt,...) with the event variants (Events.txt, Events2.alt, Events3.alt, etc.) in their stated order and not have this randomised(?). When's your scenario due out? Any preliminary info'?
                  [This message has been edited by Cam (edited December 30, 1999).]

Comment

Cam

No I havent worked out how to link an events file to an alternate scenario file
                    (ie events1.alt matches with crud1.alt or whatever). There can be only one events file, events.txt. What I have figured out is by using flags and the extra event space available, you write events suitable for all of the alternate scenarios and put them in events.txt. The events check which scenario you are in by using @AND. The @AND checks the presence of a technology which indicates which scenario you are in. Make sense yet? I'm probably not explaining this well.

The scenario should be out before the end of Jan.

Comment

Oh - I see! Got ya! More good thinking. I look forward to seeing the product of your labour!

Comment

Folks,

Was watching this thread with interest.

I have knocked up 5 ToT "Random-Start" Scenarios for my ExtendedOriginal "No Spaceships, No Aliens" modpack if anyone wants to try them out.

Each Scenario starts with a different set of maps and distribution of settlers. Each of the various worlds is custom-designed
                        to avoid the limitations of the 'normal' or 'land-dominant' settings in the Rules.txt
                        (Settings 6 & 4) and in some cases to make the land-forms seem less Earth-like.

In addition each Civ starts with at least 2 settlers, often one of those starting out on one of the alien worlds. This keeps the competition up on each world. (No Civ has a world to themselves where they can just sit and build without having to worry about attack). (However not every settler on every world is likely to survive...)

I haven't figured out how to change the Rules.txt so that the game dumps settlers on more than one world at start-up yet. (Don't know if it is possible , other than hacking a few events into the events.txt).

I even tested it. (And it seems to work !).

As always, available at : www.users.bigpond.com/Kestrel18

Happy New Year.

Comment

I wrote ...
                          Mick,

In the Verne Scenario there were six different versions of the same
                          scenario, one of which was randomly selected when you loaded the
                          scenario.

How did you do it?
                          Mick replied ...

Hi William,

The procedure was very simple. After building and saving the six scenarios,
                          I labelled one of them, Verne.scn and the remainder, Verne2.alt,
                          Verne3.alt,..., Verne6.alt. That's it. Since I had prepared an introduction
                          for the scenario, I also had to make 5 copies of it and label them
                          Verne.txt, Verne2.txt,...,Verne6.txt so that whichever one was chosen, the
                          introduction would appear. You can probably substitute whatever name you
                          want for Verne, you must maintain the number sequence, however. Although I
                          never tried this procedure for the Test Of Time scenarios, I believe it
                          should still work here, too.

Mick Uhl

Comment

Working...
                          X