Need help with RULES.TXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with RULES.TXT

Can anybody tell me what those DMF values under secondary map characteristics in RULES.TXT are good for?

BTW, what about this "Eidolon"-terrain that is listed in the Civilopedia for the SciFi-game? I've played quite a few SciFi games and never encountered these (or the "Ancient Rooms" for that matter).

Thank you!
    Moderator at:
    CivWorld's Off-Topic Forum
    GamesLAN Forums
    GamerzHaven Forums
    CivWeb Forums

The DMF stuff controls the way the random map generator makes the extra maps. I think I remember someone here posting a pretty fair explanation of most of it...hmm...can't find it. Well, I know it's around here somewhere.

I went over all the fields on pages 213-214 of the ToT strategy guide; anyone who has a copy is welcome to post that explanation here.

Comment

Sure, *You* might not mind, John, but what about Prima Publishing? :-) (oh 'eck, how do you make those picture smilies!) Oh well, as James Cagney used to say (or was it Edward G. Robinson) "Come and get me Copper!"

@Secondary Maps:
      ... The special characteristics of the "secondary" maps (Maps 1 through 3) randomly generated by the game are hard-coded, but this code is to a large extent controlled by the values in this section. Using this, you can turn your extra maps into worlds similar to those in the Fantasy and Science Fiction Games.
      Each of the three entries (There must be three, no matter how many maps you actually have in your scenario) controls the overall layout of the terrain in one of the secondary maps - in order. (That is, the first line controls Map 1, the second Map 2, and the last Map3.) We'll briefly go over the uses of each field in the following list and you can discover the rest for yourself....

0. Map Type: This value puts the map into one of the predefined categories that define the overall character of the world.

The possible map categories are

1. Submerged (merfolk)
      2. Subterranean (Underworld)
      3. Floating (Clouds, Orbit)
      4. Land Dominant (Naumachia)
      5. Gas Giant (Nona)
      6. Standard Civ II (Earth)

1. Blob Size: For maps of type 3 and five, which are normally mostly ocean, this defines the average size of the "blobs" of land. This value has no other effect on other types of maps.

2. Blobs: For maps of type 3 and 5, this defines the average number of blobs of land. Each time a map of this type is generated, a random factor is introduced to determine the actual number. This value has no effect on other types of maps.

3. Bridge Length: For maps of type 3 and 5, this defines the average length of the land "bridges" that stick out near the corners of the land blobs. A 0 (zero) prevents bridges from appearing at all. This value has no effect on other types of maps.

4. Bridges/Blobs: For maps of type 3 and 5, this defines the average number (1 to 4) of bridges attached to each land blob. A 0 (zero) prevents any bridges from appearing at all. This value has no effect on other types of maps.

5. Blue Rooms: Roughly defines the number of Blue Rooms that appear on subterranean maps. No effect on other types of maps.

6. Ice Rooms: Roughly controls the number of Ice Rooms that appear on subterranean maps. No effect on other types of maps.

7. Fire Chambers: This number roughly determines the number of fire chambers that appear on subterrainean maps. No effect on other types of maps.

8. Storms. This number controls the average number of storms that appear on Gas Giant maps. It has no effect on other types of maps.

9-11 Desired Length: This set, and the next two sets, of valueshave varying effects depending on the type of map they're applied to. In very general terms, this first set defines the optimum length of the chains of multi-tiled terrain types (Hil, Mou, For) that are appropriate to the type of map being defined.

12-14. Maximum Length: In very general terms, this group of values sets the maximum length of the "chains" of multi-tiled terrain types (Hil, Mou, For) that are appropriate to the type of map being defined. See Desired Length.

15-17. Frequency: In very general terms, this last set controls how often "chains" of multi-tiled terrain types (Hil, Mou, For) that are appropriate to the type of map being defined appear. See Desired Length.

--------------
      From Prima's Strategy Guide for Civilization II: Test of Time by John Possidente and Dave Ellis. Copyright Prima Publishing and Hasbro Interactive 1999.
      --------------

As for Eidolon, it appears to be some sort of lost and fantastic city, like El Dorado and Atlantis. The Ei- and -on in the name seem to hint to a Greek origin. However its simularity to the word Avalon (another lost fantastic land) might indicate a British or Celt transmission. Whatever the case may be, it doesn't exist... of course, that's what they said about Troy until Shleiman (sp?) went and dug it up!

Comment

Thanks for the response!
        This surely answers my question.
        Moderator at:
        GamesLAN Forums
        GamerzHaven Forums
        CivWeb Forums

Comment

You should still go and buy the book...

Comment

John, will your book be published in Germany?
            I would certainly buy it, then.
            Moderator at:
            GamesLAN Forums
            GamerzHaven Forums
            CivWeb Forums

Comment

I don't know. I hope so.

Comment

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited December 13, 1999).]

Comment

(Apologies - found the answer to the question I was asking!)

Comment

Working...
                  X