Something's wrong here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something's wrong here...

I have been having a problem recently when trying to make scenarios. I can't change the year. I go to the Scenario Parameters and I change the starting year and it shows up on that menu, but the game does not register the change. The worst part is that its not only affecting TOT but its effecting my other Civ II MGE. I think the TOT patch 1.1 is to blame but i'm not certain. I'd appreciate any help from anyone.

Does it always come up 4000 BC?

Comment

Yeah, it never changes from 4000 B.C.

Comment

Under CHEAT > SCENARIO PARAMETERS

Change TURN YEAR INCREMENT to 1.

Comment

William, I'm wondering about the time lapse in TOT.... It starts off about 50 years, 25 years and all the way down to 1 year per turn... Do you know how this is done? I have a scenario which is divided into 2 parts, the first part I wish to take 100 turns but only span the time of 8 years... The second part takes 1 year per turn...... Any ideas how its done.... Thanks..

.......Civfan

Civfan (Warriorsoflight)

Comment

WoW, Civfan! That's quite a tall order.

I know that the default (Turn Year Increment = Zero) rate of time passing changes with the level of play (Chiefian to Diety). I think it is hard coded and there is not way to change it. John, can you verify this?
            I don't think there is any way to do it short of poking the code, but I'll think about it and if I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Comment

Changing the year increment had no effect... It still reads 4000 B.C. If I just play out the game, the turns will change, but if i want to start at the first turn, and set a starting year, i can't do it.

Comment

Yep, the number of "years" per turn is hard coded, based in part on the difficulty setting. It's a function of the number of turns elapsed.

Hannibal3: When you change the game year, what exactly do you set it to? The reason I ask is that you can't just enter a real year (like -3000), you need to enter a turn number (like 60). I've seen some folks make that mistake when starting out.

Comment

Actually, I know its not me. I've done dozens of scenarios before with MGE without a hitch. It always worked. In fact, I was able to create a scenario that did not have a problem when I bought TOT. But then recently, the function just stopped responding.

Comment

Actually, I know its not me. I've done dozens of scenarios before with MGE without a hitch. It always worked. In fact, I was able to create a TOT scenario that did not have a problem when I bought TOT. But then recently, the function just stopped responding.

Comment

How would you change the game so that it would not respond to the change in the starting year option for new games only, but still allow the old scenarios to change their starting dates? That is apparently what is going on with my game. That makes me think that it is something in the rules.txt. Could it really be a hard-coded malfunction causing two different Civ II editions to act so strangely? And if so, why isn't it affecting everything???

Comment

I think it is affecting everything else. Other people are experiencing problems changing the rules.txt and the game not responding to the changes.

Comment

So what's the solution?

Comment

Well, fool proof solution is to work in one of the main directories, Extended, Fantasy, or Sci-fi, and every time you change the rules.txt, to recreate the scenario file from a new game.

Comment

I dont think I quite understand what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                              X