Problem with Midgard scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Midgard scenario

I have hunted around for an answer to this question, but I haven't seen one, so...

I played the Midgard scenario as the humans, and, as usual , was the biggest fish in the pond. However, in spite of the fact that I had built every technological/magical advance I could build (including the ones that specifically enable you to build the Siege Engine) I could not build the Siege Engine. What gives?

Also, unrelated, but (and I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere, but I can't find it) what happened to the Wonders of the World movies that used to play when you built a wonder?

--Chris M.

Great Siege Engine:
    Have you built the wonder yet, Deux Ex Machina. This functions like the Apollo Program in normal Civ II. If so, than I'm afraid I'm stumped.

AVI's:
    Wonder movies were removed because after a while, most people got sick of them and turned them off. Also, they had to be turned off for most scenarios because they weren't customizable, and I guess the designers felt they weren't important.

------------------
    Jason the Argonaut
    "I like horses. Thank You."
    -Daniel MacIvor
    -Argo

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."

Comment

Hmm, I was never given the option to build Deus Ex Machina, and I had developed all magic/technology available to me. Was there some quest or something that I had to do and didn't? I thought I did everything. Do you know what the trigger event is if there is one?

AVIs: Gotcha. I actually kinda liked 'em, but I can live without them for other game improvements.

--Chris M.

Comment

Actually, I've just remembered there is a quest you have to do to get the Deux Ex Machina. First you have to build the Brian's Expedition Wonder. After a couple of turns, good old Brian comes back and brings with him Huginn and Muninn. This comes in the form of a special tech (which you can't research) and gives you the ability to build the DEM wonder. Hope this helps.
        -Argo

"Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening."

Comment

Huh. Yeah, I completed that wonder and Brian came back with the birds and everything, but I still was never given the opportunity to build DEM. There must be some other trigger.

I'm playing the scenario again, this time as the Merfolk, and trying to keep a sharper lookout for quests/trigger events. Wish I knew what it was. Is there a way to look at the scenario files and find out?

--Chris M.

Comment

I have to admit I've never played the Midgard scenario, but looking at the EVENTS.TXT file you should have received the 'Huginn and Muninn' advance after Brian's return, which should allow you to build this Deus Ex Machine.
            If you wanna look for yourself, just open EVENTS.TXT and RULES.TXT in the Midgard directory.
            Moderator at:
            CivWorld's Off-Topic Forum
            GamesLAN Forums
            GamerzHaven Forums
            CivWeb Forums

Comment

I'm stumped then.

A couple nights ago I started playing it again as the Merfolk. Last night I completed the World Exploration advance and built the Brian's Expedition wonder. Like last time, Brian showed up with Odin's birds, but I still am unable to build the DEM wonder.

I hope it's not something wrong with my installation. I did install the patch before I started this game. I'm at a loss for what to think. Has anyone actually played this scenario and built the DEM wonder? Am I missing something?

--Chris M.

Comment

I've built the DEM once and was then able to build the Great Siege Engine. And as a warning, don't skimp out on it when you do! There's a little twist they've flung in there.
                -Argo

Comment

To be able to build the siege engine, the following preliminary steps need to be taken.

1. Someone must build the BRIAN'S EXPEDITION wonder. Within 30 turns of this accomplishment, a notice of the fact appears on the screen.

2. At this point, the builder is given the ability to research the 'Huginn and Muninn' advance.

3. Upon completion of the discovery, that someone can commence building the Great Siege Engine.

If the someone isn't you, then you have to wait until he discovers the advance and then obtain (steal, trade, etc.)it from him to begin the build.

Comment

Ah, thanks Mick. I thought I did all that, but someone else must've built the advance first.

I'm playing as the Merfolk now, and I was able to build the H&M advance and then was able to start building DEM. So I feel better now. :-)

Has anyone out there beat the scenario by means other than the Siege Engine?

--Chris M.

Comment

Working...
                    X