Another bug-like thing-Midgard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bug-like thing-Midgard

First- a question. If killing a unit is the event trigger , does the way of killing matter?
    I`ve been busy killing a great worm in Midgard game - first I did it with thunderbolt- nothing happened - then I killed it wit Kraken , still nothing happened. But I can`t kill it other way , since it is on an Island one tile large in the underworld.How to trigger an event then? I also met this , when I decided to kill ancient dragon in Fantsy game with the Fireball.

Mick will have to weigh in on this one, but I know a couple of things. First, killing a unit with a nuclear weapon (attack=99) does not trigger a UnitKilled event. Second, some events are written so that when the unit to be killed is attacking and loses (beats itself to death against a defender), that also does not trigger the event.

Hope that's helpful.

Comment

Rostislav,

I can't remember where in the manual, but I remember that it says somewhere not to kill a certain things with a sorcerer, as you don't get the benefits. Or was it fireballs?

Oh well, check your manual and civilopedia cause I know it's there and I'll look for it when I get a chance.

uncleroggy out

Comment

Killing things with fireballs do not trigger events.

Comment

John P

When you say that units who die beating themselves to death on a hard defender do not trigger the unitkilled event is this inbuilt and cannot be changed or can this be specified in the event itself?

If death by fireball does not trigger the unitkilled event is this specific to fireballs or does this apply to missile units in general? (in Blackcloves Dungeon Scenario I have succesfully triggered unitkilled with missile units) has this changed from Civ2MGE?

Comment

There's a new optional modifier in ToT for the UnitKilled trigger--I think it's "Defender Only"--that sets the event to be triggered only if the specified unit is killed when another unit attacks it--NOT if the unit beats itself to death against a defending unit. That is, the triggering unit must be the Defender Only for its defeat to trigger the event. This is totally optional at the whim of the scenario builder. I mentioned it because I'm pretty sure it's relevant to Rostislav's situation. (Mick uses it a lot.)

The other issue is built in, not optional. UnitKilled is not triggered when a unit dies as a result of being attacked by a "nuclear" unit--any unit with an attack strength of 99a. That includes Nuclear Missiles, the Ne Plus Ultra, Xaos Missiles, Fireballs, and any unit you create that has a 99 attack.

Comment

Well have you ,men read only the last passage about fireball? I tried to kill worm ATTACKING it first with thunderbolt , and then with Kraken. None of them seem to have an attack of 99 .Then It`s to be understood like you may trigger a UNITKILLED event with ground units only? But dragons do it...
              And still, it is on an island one tile big. I don`t have amphibious units (except Hero, but it`s not enough) ,it`s all Underground , so neither Dragons, nor ships,which transport ground units are available.And has anyone ever killed that damn Worm in Midgard scenario?
              One thing happened after killing it : other Worms appeared, but they are just wandering , where only dwarves can reach , and you just try , and catch it with Dwarf . And BTW one Dwarf will not be enough...
              [This message has been edited by Rostislav (edited October 26, 1999).]

Comment

Hmm... Sounds like Mick has something up his sleeve.

Comment

The unitkilled trigger should work for all types of successful attacks except for those initiated by 99a creature. In a test, I killed a worm with both a kraken and a thunderbolt and did get the appropriate event. There is, probably, another factor or factors at work here. I can only suggest that you try again from scratch. Just cheat the creatures in next to the worm and go at it. Tell me if you get the event message this time?

Thanks,
                  Mick

Comment

I always get the event message when I kill the worm.

Comment

Working...
                    X