I Need Help With A Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help With A Problem

I have no problems or crashes with my TOT. However, i do have one very annoying thing that happens. Every now and then something goes weird and the game slows down to a snails pace. Not only that, but it affects loading of my other programs and the only way to "clear" the problem is to reboot.

Anyone know what this problem is? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Please note. I'm not a computer genious so I would appreciate answers in simple English.

Thank you in advance for any help.

uncleroggy out

No help, but i also noticed that after a long session, things seemed to get slower and slower, even affecting non-civ app's. This effect dissappeared when I rebooted. I remember something like this happening in bad old win 3.1 where occassionally a memory-intensive application would "run wild" and use up more and more resources the longer it ran. This is the only time I've noticed such a thing in win 98. I have no idea how to stop it, but it would probably help if u told us which windows version u were running and whether u were running "background" applications like bombshelter or Norton Disk Utilities.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I know exactly what it is. It is Microsoft's "FindFast" program. If you have Microsoft Office (I think) on your computer (It may be associated with something else), the computer from time to time (depending on astrology I think), will steal great amounts of RAM and CPU power to thoroughly scan every disk you have on your computer to catalogue where every file is.

Whenever it strikes, simply hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and select FindFast, and click "End Task"

Voila, problem solved. Even if you don't have MS Office, you will probably want to see if thats it anyway.

Comment

Try turning off your scheduled maintanence in Windows 98.

Comment

Thanks for the help all.

I finally had a chance to play this weekend and I used the end task idea from DV. Seems to have solved the problem. I use office a lot and this seems to be the culprit. Thanks again!

I'll also keep the system maintenance idea in mind. I checked my setup and the maintenance wasn't scheduled to start for anothe day.

uncleroggy out

Comment

The best thing to do with "Find Fast" is to kill it permanently. (It's real name should be "System Slow") Go Start/Settings/Control Panel and you'll see an icon called "FindFast". Open it up and disable it. That ends the problem permanently!

By the way, good catch DV!
            To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Working...
            X