Map Transport Relationships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Transport Relationships

I could use a bit of a tutorial on the rules text. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to edit it for inter-map movement. John, would you answer some questions on this?

1. How do the number pairs for map transfer relationships work? Why are some repeated in the rules texts for the various types of games? Does one of them have to represent map 0, or can you move from map 2 to map 3, for example? In the rules text for the sci-fi game, what are the additional numbers after the semi-colons?

2. How do they relate to transporter type? How do you control where a transporter of a specific type goes, especially when it is built by an engineer? How do you control which type of transporter is built by which type of engineer?

3. In the UNITS ADVANCED field, how does the postion of 0s and 1s in the D, E and F column relate to the list of number pairs in the map transport relationship column? Must there be a fixed number of these pairs?

4. What do the 3 numbers in INITIAL SETTINGS represent?

5. In the sci-fi rules, just after the UNITS ADVANCED field there are a couple of notes: "0-15 represent legal transport reationships," and "Art matched in threes," followed by a series of numbers. What do these refer to?

I know that some of these things seem apparent, but it will save me and others days of trial and error and much frustration if we can get it explained all in one place. Thanks.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

It is really much simpler then it looks at first, allow me to breakdown the meaning of the numbers in the rules.txt lines and it will become crystal clear.

The first pair of numbers is the map connection, map 0 to map 1

0,1 ; 0/1 Gravitic Grid Funestis and Orbit

The semi-colon defines a remark. The third number is the slot number for lines 0-15. This is just for reference.

0,1 ; 0/1 Gravitic Grid Funestis and Orbit

the forth number is the artwork number. Again, just for reference.

The artwork is deternimed by the slot number: slot 0 is the first transport site art, slot 1 uses the second, slot 2 uses the third, slot 3 reuses the first art, slot 4 reuses the second, and so on up to 15.

Clear as Mud? Let's do an example. If I wanted only one transport site that could transport to any map in my scenario then I would need to define six transport relationships: 0,1; 0,2; 0,3; 1,2; 1,3; 2,3. These six cover all possible map combinations. Next, I would need to assign all six relationships to one piece of art. To do this I need to define the relationships in slots 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. The others slots would need to contain filler relationships. This is how it would look:

0,1 ; Slot 0 uses first artwork
    0,2 ; Slot 3 uses first artwork
    0,3 ; Slot 6 uses first artwork
    1,2 ; Slot 9 uses first artwork
    1,3 ; Slot 12 uses first artwork
    2,3 ; Slot 15 uses first artwork

So, that should clear things up I think, if not then scroll down to Johns remarks below.

Comment

Thanks WK. That is very helpful. I still need some answers on my other questions though. Where are John's comments that you are referring to?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Methinks WK was writing on the safe assumption that I'd chime in here pretty soon. His description is really accurate, a good job. Now about those other questions...this might take some explaining, but I'll try to keep it brief.

>>How do you control where a transporter of a specific type goes, especially when it is built by an engineer?

Well, you can't, really. If you're making a scenario, you can place them (using the Cheat menu). Otherwise, the settler-type unit you allow to build them can put one in any legal spot--where the terrain matches and there's no blocking item in the way (unit, city, airbase, etc.).

>>How do you control which type of transporter is built by which type of engineer?

That's in the @Units_Advanced section. The group of "Build" bits--I think it's column D--controls which of the @Map_Transport_Relationships the unit (it must be a role=5 unit) can build into a transport site. So, to build on WK's example, if you wanted to let an Engineer build the type of site he defined, and you wanted to limit that Engineer to building sites only between maps 0, 1, and 2, you would turn on only the bits for those relations: 0000001000001001. (Notice that any bits related to map 3 are not "1".)

>>In the UNITS ADVANCED field, how does the postion of 0s and 1s in the D, E and F column relate to the list of number pairs in the map transport relationship column?

Just like I described above. Column D allows role=5 units to build transport sites using specific relations you've defined. Column E allows units (any role) to use the specific relations of an existing site (to move from map to map). Column F gives a unit (any role) the native ability to use the specific relations--without the need for a transport site.

>>Must there be a fixed number of these pairs?

Yes. If you want to not use a specific slot, you should zero it out: 0,0 ; Not Used

>>What do the 3 numbers in INITIAL SETTINGS represent?

I've explained that elsewhere, but hey. this set corresponds to the slots in @Leaders. The first number sets what map the tribe starts on (in a random start game). The second defines the unit that tribe starts with; it really should be a role=5 settler-type unit. The third controls what the second unit for that tribe will be, in cases when the tribe begins with two units.

>>In the sci-fi rules, just after the UNITS ADVANCED field there are a couple of notes: "0-15 represent legal transport reationships," and "Art matched in threes," followed by a series of numbers. What do these refer to?

Those were just notes to myself about the @Map_Transport_Relationships section that comes right after @Units_Advanced. Early on, it was a little tough to keep the system straight. Sometimes you forget that a zillion people are going to be reading through your rules.txt...

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I'll let you know how it goes.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
          X