SL Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL Resources

I decided to start a new thread to replace the one called 'Paint' as I have now moved on to discussing the Units section of the SL resources. The old thread on this subject was opened in my old name (Werd100) so I thought I would begin afresh

I have just finished the first stage of the new system:

Medieval Units Section

Now all I have to do when I add units is re-upload the Gif file using the same name and the new files replace the old ones. I checked this would work by modifying the first Gif with red lettering instead of transparent letters that, as Mercator pointed out, are hard to read.

If anyone else wanted to comment on this setup please do so now. It is very demoralizing to spend hours working on something and then find out there was a quicker/easier/better way of doing it

The DBA categorization system will work for the Ancient and Medieval sections but from the Renaissance onwards I/we will have to make up our own system. Suggestions are welcome!
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

This morning I have added the templates for the Ancient and Dark Ages MGE units. Now I can start adding the units:

Ancient and Dark Age Units compilations
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Can anyone tell me who these guys are?
      Attached Files
      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
      SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

So what happens when you get a new unit for a category?

Does the old file get dropped and a new one uploaded in place?

Does this also mean the SL wiki servers fill up with old discarded files?

If so, that is not a good way to go -
        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Armenians and Judeans? Just a guess...
          Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
          Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

They are my crap old units that I don't really want posting on the SL site
            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

@Curtsibling
              I am saving the updated files under the same name so the old one on the server should be overwritten and therefore after they have been added they should not take up any more space when I update them!

@Fairline
              Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I know your current batch of ToT units are of a higher quality but I for one really like these older units which are about as good as MGE size/palette can get. They are also useful for people of my ability to modify and fill in the blanks, especially in the Medieval period. I don't think I would be able to mod the new ToT units to any decent standard. Remember, about half the community still works with MGE.

I hope you don't really mind me posting them because I am going to do it anyway
              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

grrr.... They are fecking horrible!

Comment

If an author requests that units not be posted, I would prefer if McMonkey respects such wishes.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                  http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

F**k it then. Project cancelled.

I'm a bit miffed as this project has been planned for a number of months (over eight) and there has been pleanty of time to object. I have now put in a lot of time and effort for nothing!

Originally posted by McMonkey 13-03-2007 23:23
                    Would anybody have any objections to me reorganizing the resources section of the SL wiki?

I have started to add Fairline's units and would like to put the rest of the resources into some sort of order and start to add stuff to it.

I would start by pulling complete sets off the Graphics threads here and uploading them onto the SL page. If anyone has any collections to add then post them on the main resources page and I will transfer them to the relevent section. Obviously once all the sections are built then feel free to put them in the relevent folder yourself!

One thing I am a bit concerned about is the etiquete of uploading peoples work. My view would be that if they have posted them in the Graphics thread for general use then they would be fine to put on the SL wiki. Can anyone give me a reason against this, if so let me know before I put my foot in it
                    There were no objections in this thread. In fact I was encouraged to go ahead as I was doing a useful job.

I find it slightly insulting to be told that units I rather like are crap. Am I blind/stupid? Lots of this era of units are used in peoples scenario's, does this mean their choice of graphics is crap? A lot of people have modified these MGE graphics and I expect they are pleased with their work. To label their efforts as crap seems unfair.

I will withdraw what I have already put on the SL and respect your wished but I am not happy about it.
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I agree with McMonkey. We could use a comprehensive library of units, and while these may not be quite up to Fairlines' current standard, they are among the best available for the period.

And let's not forget, CS, that artwork and other Civ mods on this forum are public domain, and do not belong to anyone.

So I say carry on, McMonkey. I certainly appreciate what you are trying to do.
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

It is important to respect the work of everyone.
                        Would it be no solution that would satisfy both?

Comment

I would have been willing to post up both old (MGE) units which make up the bulk of the available units and new (ToT) units which are more limited in number but represent the high levels that have been achieved in graphics creation.

However I cannot do this if we are picking and choosing certain units. There are hundreds of mods too. I cannot possibly find everyone that has made an alteration and ask if they are happy for them to be posted.

I'm afraid that the only way that I am willing/able to create a comprehensive, organized units section is if I have the freedom to add any units that I consider worthy. Its all or nothing really.

I plan to make the compilations for my own amusement/use so it seems a shame not to share them but I will respect the wishes of the people who have created them!
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Why not interact more with Gareth?
                            After all, he has done a great deal for the community and your project is a good project. You should work as a team and decide together on the future of this project.
                            Finally, this is a humble suggestion ...

Comment

Originally posted by McMonkey
                              F**k it then. Project cancelled.

I'm a bit miffed as this project has been planned for a number of months (over eight) and there has been pleanty of time to object. I have now put in a lot of time and effort for nothing!
                              No need to throw your teddy McM! I think you're doing a grand job by organising these reources. My only problem with using the units you posted above is that I've already drawn better versions (which I see you've already posted at the SL). Perhaps I should have been a little clearer in my previous posts

Comment

Working...
                              X