No announcement yet.

Caucasus aflame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are ways to simulate possible Iranian intervention or support for one side without using an entire Civ slot. Military support can be simulated by generating units via events file, other types of support can be done with advances or wonders... I'm sure it would not completely ignore what is happening in that area, because instability there is likely going to have its influence on northwestern Iran, but considering what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, whatever they are going to do in the Caucasus will only be half-arsed for the time being.
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

I just read Ahmadinejad's latest statement on Iraq:
      "The political power of the occupiers is collapsing rapidly," Ahmadinejad said at a news conference, referring to U.S. troops in Iraq. "Soon, we will see a huge power vacuum in the region. Of course, we are prepared to fill the gap, with the help of neighbors and regional friends like Saudi Arabia, and with the help of the Iraqi nation."
      He also defended Al-Maliki, which is like shooting him in the foot. The part about the Saudis is just appeasement.
      The guy either has no concept of a poker face, or the trick is to call bluffs all the time.
      "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
      -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
      "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
      "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

Ahmadinejad is best off ignored. He just uses big rhethorics to make him look strong to his people and to get attention from the world. Without support from the Mullahs (which he hardly has), he's just a chained rottweiler.
        Follow the masses!

Comment

He is just your typical populist that will say practically anything to keep himself in power.
          Stefan, I agree with you.
          If the Iranians want to send a strong message to the Azeris, they 'll crack down on the Azeri irredentists within Iran.
          If they want to slap Armenia on the hand, they'll close the border, cut the oil.
          If they want to piss Turkey, they'll help Armenia with supplies.
          If they want to seem like they help their fellow Muslims against Russia, they 'll send token covert aid in weapons or money. But this would be like kicking their own hind-quarters.
          It is a wait and win game for them, whatever happens.
          It just makes you feel sorry for all those that got killed in Iraq "in the name of democracy" to have died so that some religious fanatics can reap the benefits. Pretty ironic. And I don't even want to think about the alternatives, which may be worse.

Comment

The Middle East as it is is a pure mess. You don't want to support any side, because it's like choosing between typhus, plague, cholera and AIDS. My own personal sympathies lie with democratic governments like Israel or Turkey, because at least they are not mistreating their own people (or their own majority, whichever way you want to see it).
            Follow the masses!

Comment

Israel is with its back to the wall, the way I see it. Their undeniable (to me) excesses are perceivably connected to their survival. If they manage to keep the pretense of democratic institutions, their neighbors don't even try to.
              I can argue that Turkey is by far the worst of the whole lot. Let's say that if we don't see a military coup (with or without some constitutional wrapping) in the next couple of months, I'll be surprised. Erdogan's staying in power that long and managing to get re-elected is not what I expected, anyway. Perhaps things are changing.
              There is a reason people don't want them in the EU and I seriously bet it is not religion.

Comment

I agree with you on almost everything. The only thing is that at least urban Turkey is enjoying a pretty good way of life when politics doesn't get in its way too much.
                Follow the masses!

Comment

Man, that is a universal truth.
                  A toast to people everywhere just getting along with their lives.

Of course, the state tends to disappear when you actually need it. It's been raining ash for days here in Athens, it's the second time this summer this happens. I talked to a colleague, the school where she used to work in a village was burned down, her former students are now homeless...

Comment

The news here are full of that. At least you're in Athens and not the places that are actually burning. I've got the impression that the government really is trying hard, but is simply incapable, because it's not prepared for such a disaster. Imagine that, an entire country burning...
                    Follow the masses!

Comment

-edit- OT
                      Last edited by tanelorn; August 28, 2007, 20:12.

Comment

You're right.

Anyway, that's a grand map. Believe it or not, but it actually inspired me to play a vanilla game with a Georgian civ. I'd really love to see more of the scenario, but I don't have very many ideas for you right now.
                        Just one thing, are you thinking about including the Kurds?
                        Follow the masses!

Comment

Kurds will be spawned and active as barbs from the start and as event created units for the secessionist civ after some research (to allow for cross-faction rivalry and dubious allegiance), as I wrote in the previous page. Which means that they may be sponsored but not controlled, by the main combatant.
                          Anyway, I'll only have pen and paper to work with during September, let's see how that goes...

Comment

Re: Re: Caucasus aflame.

Originally posted by Cyrion
                            Now I wonder how you would implement that!
                            Idea: house rule forcing the player to use the "goto" command to represent the drunken decisions+behaviour !

May be, they get unhappy when they don´t get their regional liquor-shop or drinking-temple?

Comment

where's the scn????
                              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                              Middle East!

Comment

In a hard disk back in Athens. I am in an island village highschool this year and I lack central heating, telephone, washing machine, PC & a reasonably closeby girlfriend where I stay at the moment. Priorities, you see.
                                I am having a great time though!

Comment

Working...
                                X