No announcement yet.

The Case of the Disappearing Siege Towers . . . . . . A Mystery for Designers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case of the Disappearing Siege Towers . . . . . . A Mystery for Designers

I noticed this one when I was in the final phase of Kobayashi's Lord of the One Ring.

In brief, on Day 101, Frodo destroyed the Ring and things happened to Mordor, like cities disappeared, techs were given, etc. Subsequently, there have been 3 instances where a total of 29 of Mordor's Siege Towers have unaccountably vanished from Mordor's OOB.

The following is the raw data, giving the number of Siege Towers at the start of a human turn and at its end. The bold numbers indicate when and how many units inexplicably disappeared between the end of one human turn and the start of its next turn.

DAY
    100_____END______54

101_____START_____54
    _______ END______53

102_____START_____42_____[ 11 ]
    _______ END______41

103_____START_____36_____[ 5 ]
    _______ END______32

104_____START_____33
    _______ END______27

105_____START_____26
    _______ END______20

106_____START_____21
    _______ END______18

107_____START_____17
    _______ END______14

108_____START_____15
    _______ END______14

109_____START______1_____[ 13 ]

Changes during the human turn are due to human attacks.
    Changes from the end of a human turn to the start of the next turn could be attributed to warfare between Mordor and the human Allies and failed Mordor attacks on the human civ. However, the anomalous losses occurred even if:

All other civs were destroyed at the end of the previous human turn.
    No Siege Towers could or did attack the human civ during Mordor's turn.

Also:

The results were repeatable.
    No other Mordor units were similarly afflicted.
    A hex-editor check of the end of Day 108 save showed 14 active Siege Towers.
    A similar check of the start of the Day 109 human turn showed that 13 of the 14 had been mysteriously deactivated.
    The casualty list did not reflect the loss of these units.
    There were only about 950 units in the units table.

Dismayed as I was to see a monster AI civ lose half of its strongest units for no apparent reason . . . . . . . especially when it was getting the stuffing knocked out of it . . . . . . . I persisted with the investigation until I could make all types of Mordor units gradually disappear. However, beyond knowing that the disappearances happen and what triggers them, I have no idea why they should happen, why they seem to occur only on certain turns and what algorithm governs the number of units that vanish.

I might add that I would not be surprised if I encountered this previously in playing scens but failed to recognize it because it is so subtle. In this instance, I only noticed it because on Day 104 I had begun a campaign of attrition against Mordor and was recording its losses every turn as a way to keep score.

As this is definitely a scen design issue, before I spill the beans as far as I understand them and suggest a possible use of this phenomenon in designing scens, are there any designers who would like to offer a solution to this mystery?
    Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
    Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

It's probably too simple to be the correct explanation, but here are 2 possible ways of getting that result (and a combination of both is possible too):

- you wrote that after the Ring's destruction, some cities where destroyed: if some cities are destroyed on turn 102-103-109, and the siege towers are homed to them, then they'll of course disappear

- or if the production of some cities to which the siege towers are homed is suddenly reduced on those same turns, the further away units will be disbanded, and those could be the siege towers

- you'll notice that with both explanations, the siege towers wouldn't appear on the casualty list
    Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
    Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
    POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
    LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Nice try.

What you say is true but it is not what has happened. AFAIK, cities and unit homing have nothing whatsoever to do with the vanishing act. I checked that blind alley pretty thoroughly.

EDIT: The same thing will happen in a TOT scen. I used techumseh's Frederick the Great as a testbed and the Imperials as guinea pigs.
      Last edited by AGRICOLA; June 13, 2007, 14:51.

Comment

AI is disbanding to rush-build?
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Wild guess:
          A guy in a bathrobe and a tan is sending kamikaze boeings against any towering structure available?
          "Whoever thinks freely, thinks well"
          -Rigas Velestinlis (Ferraios)
          "...êáé ô' üíïìá ôçò, ôï ãëõêý, ôï ëÝãáíå Áñåôïýóá..."
          "I have a cunning plan..." (Baldric)

Comment

@Boco
            Reasonable idea, but I don't think so. In LOTOR, 95%+ of units disappear when they are outside cities. I didn't know that the AI disbanded in order to rush build.

@tanelorn
            Man, that is indeed a wild idea for scen.

I'm pretty sure that the designers of CIV built it into the game to help the AI as well as the human civ. Also, although I have no suitable testbed, I'm just about 100% certain that it can also happen in a regular CIV game.

Comment

Is the building rate (and money balance) similar across these turns regardless of disbanding? If not, it might be safe to assume that the AI cheats when it disbands for shields.
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

I can't answer that question definitively without going through some tedious work but I'm positive that there is no connection.

O.K., here's a big, fat hint. This appears to be built into the .exe file in order to to remove obsolete units from the OOB's of AI civs, thus helping to prevent filling up the units list.

Now I think that I better keep my big mouth shut until designers around the globe have had a chance to take a shot at this one.

Comment

Is this a purging of obsolete units?
                  El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

yes, the seige towers become obsolete with the Ring destroyed and the AI is known to disband obsolete units. This is also why the Uruks diminish pretty quickly after Isengard is flooded. (Someone else commented very early in the development phase that they didn't want to see a prolonged battle once the Ring was destroyed)

I first came across this phenomenon in my dominion war scenario when the orb trigger unit kept disappearing. Finally figured out you can't create a one-of-a-kind unit and then make it obsolete. You have to remove the prerequisite tech from the builder instead to make them stay on the map.
                    Last edited by kobayashi; June 14, 2007, 01:22.
                    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

That does it! The Far Eastern member of the Designers Guild has been heard from.

Well done, Kobi. I figured that you might be the one individual who might come up with the correct explanation. Congratulations on having figured it out years ago and using it in your scens.

The disbanding appears to be one part of CIVII designers' effort to limit the number of units that AI civs can have. The other part is the well known refusal of AI civs to build more units once they have reached a limit.

I think that this feature of CIVII could be useful in scens about early civilizations which went through up and down cycles due to climate changes, dynastic problems, natural disasters etc. Much like Kobi has done with Isengard and its attack on Helm's Deep, the up cycle can be modelled by spawning units and adding funds to a civ while a down cycle can be simulated by depleting the treasury and giving a civ the expiry tech for some or all of its units for a few turns and then taking it away.

Someone else commented very early in the development phase that they didn't want to see a prolonged battle once the Ring was destroyed
                      There certainly is no way to account for some peoples tastes, is there?

Hope y'all had some fun with this one.

Comment

Now that is a very interesting trick!

I'm sure I'll be able to use it in the future, thanks Kobi and Agricola!

I really need to finalize my draft of "technical tricks" useful in scenario design, so that I can find it again when necessary!

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
                        Hope y'all had some fun with this one.
                        Yep, I did! Next one please...
                        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Working...
                        X