Scenario: Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario: Restoration

I've been thinking about doing a fantasy scenario (by default for MPG but anyone who wants to help me with doing it in Test of Time, great. Better editor. )

I've been looking for, with mixed results, graphics for a while, but at the suggestion of one of the other members of the site I'm going to start working on the other things.

First priority is to figure out what kind of scenario exactly.

This is mostly a war scenario, though research will be involved. Diplomacy is not relevant.

This is not a Middle Earth scenario, though inspiration is, yes, drawn from LotR and the scenarios based on it.

I like the idea of the Pomarj scenario, and King Arthur and such, so one idea that I'm giving thought to is to have it be a scenario where you must first liberate and then hold the kingdom that, you (Name) the rightful King are lord of from the dark forces that have conquered it.

I wonder...is "spies are always veterans under communism" true however you use the unit slot? I'd like to take advantage of that for a nondiplomatic function unit, though I'm not sure what.

Out of curiosity: How does one print screenshots, and where do they go?

Shift +Prnt Scrn/Sys Rq (/ for "over")?

I'd like to take some examples just to show off how I'm visualiing it, even if the art is unfinished.

To create screenshots I just find what I want, hit the 'Print Screen' key, open paint and paste the image there, crop it and make sure it is within the size limitations of the site I am uploading it to. Apolyton has a 500000 bytes limit and the files cannot be wider than 800 pixels (as far as I remember).

I would bet money that in the time it takes to build a scenario the correct units or at least a picture of what you are looking for will crop up The units can be the last thing you add when building a scenario as they do not affect the way the game works. I am sure that if you finish the game and still have not found all the exact units you want then someone would help you out.

Regarding the choice of MGE or ToT, I would say that you will find more people to play an MGE version but a ToT version has the potential to be much better.
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Well, my first priority in terms of design is figuring out how to use the Wonders and fluff stuff. Some of that isn't too specific (beyond particular details, obviously), so...

My question: If a "Liberate and rule" scenario was designed, would that be interesting to people?

Comment

Re: Scenario: Restoration

First of all, I fully agree with what Werd wrote!

Originally posted by Elensar
        I like the idea of the Pomarj scenario
        That's a show of good taste, mate!

Just kidding...

My question: If a "Liberate and rule" scenario was designed, would that be interesting to people?
        The answer for me is obviously (see above) yes!

And from the response I got for Pomarj, I would say that I'm not the only one!
        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Excellent. I can't say I've really played your Pomarj scenario, but I have downloaded it and I like the idea. Its a lot easier to do than Overwhelming Dark Lord Rising.

Any suggestions to start things off? I've been creatively challenged lately, for no good reason.

Comment

This Mr Temba Classic (an Arthurian Scenario) might offer you some inspiration. It has its flaws (like 10,000 wild wolves in Part III) but some of the ideas are good.

This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

I have that. Its a bit too much, to me, to try and bite off at the time being, maybe when I'm in a Mad Civ mood.

Seems well done, mind. I intend to borrow at least one graphic (the Lawgiver or something like that wonder image), though I'm not sure for what exactly.

Comment

By the way, Cyrion, weren't you intending a Pomarj 2 scenario? Did that fall through the cracks?

Comment

Yes, Pomarj 2 is my next work!

I'm just waiting for the release of Lost Legions to open a "Pomarj 2" thread!

And I already know about 50% of what I want to modify! For the 50% remaining percent, I'm sure you guys will provide a much desired inspiration!

What I can already say is that those of you who liked Pomarj and own ToT won't be disappointed!

BUT I need some feedback on Lost Legions playtest before I really start on Pomarj, so help me there! (if I have enough comment, I hope to start in July)
                  Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                  Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                  POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                  LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

This sounds like it could be exciting.

To keep it simple, I would minimize the number of cities, but have some very interesting geography. This is especially the case if the scenario is going to be all war and little research.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Well, I intend to have a fair amount of research, but as a means to an end rather than anything like in normal Civ.

Probably not many cities, yes.

There are, provisionally, four factions (probably more but that's my list at the moment). Note: I say factions, not Civilizations.

1) The Kingdom: Player. Humans. Good guys.
                      2) Kingdom Allies: Elves, Dwarves, whatever else.
                      3) The Main Evil Player: Just what it says.
                      4) Evil Allies: What it says.

This scenario is set closer (effectively) to the Anglo-Saxons/Norman Conquest than the Late Medieval period, so the units depicting plate armored knights are sadly out of place.

That may be tricky...not undoable, but tricky.

Asking again, as I'm a total dunce at this: Out of curiosity: How does one print screenshots, and where do the files with the images go for one to find an edit?

Shift +Prnt Scrn/Sys Rq (/ for over)?

I'd like to take some examples just to show off how I'm visualiing it, even if the art is unfinished.

Comment

Re: Screenshots
                        See my answer in post #2
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                        SL INFORMATION THREAD
                        CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Will try that and see if I'm missing more than I thought... : p

Thanks.

Comment

This is just playing Pomarj to have fun rather than stressing out over my scenario...

Am I hearing Finvil right?

"Alright Finve! Tally ho!"

Very...English. Lovely recording.

(added) Oddity: When I load this, or the Lord of the One Ring scenario (haven't tested anything else), oddly the cheat menu is open. Cheat mode isn't on, but the menu is open. Strange. Doesn't affect anything that I can see.
                            Last edited by Elensar; June 11, 2007, 01:42.

Comment

I have little to no idea how to shape the map for this. I mean, I know how to use the editor and all, but how to make it take the form that would work...not really.

Suggestions? Comments?

I'm thinking of something roughly like Denmark or England, offhandedly, though that's very imprecisely defined and all.

Just not sure where exactly I want to go with this beyond what's been said.

Or how much in the way of fantasy this will include.

I like elves (and dwarves, though not as much so), but incorporating them into this would be difficult.

So my current idea is that there's basically humans, monsters, and humans allied with monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X