Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the fan run even when I keep Civ2 in the background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the fan run even when I keep Civ2 in the background?

Why does the fan run even when I keep Civ2 in the background?
    Because it uses 100% of the CPU 100% of the time

How do I stop this annoying quirk?
    Use this modified execution file from Tim's Code Archive

How did I discover this?
    from Catfish's Cave
    This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Catfish is really one of the greatest people in CIV.
    His site is a hub so much useful data and help.

He should get the Silver Fleece.

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I hadn't noticed that. Back in university I used to run Civ 2 at the same time as programs like MS Word ( ) but both ran OK at the same time. Am I missing something here?
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I think it's a function of increased processing power and consequent heat release on newer machines, at least if my experience with newer PCs is right. I've had more problems with my last 2 PCs in this respect than I recall having a few years back.

When you think about it, a 486 CPU running full chat must kick out a hell of a lot less heat than a 3.2GHz processor at 100%.

@Kobi: I already had the ToT fix, but wasn't aware of the MGE one, so thanks for that
        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling
          Catfish is really one of the greatest people in CIV.
          His site is a hub so much useful data and help.

He should get the Silver Fleece.

He might prefer a bronze bull-buggerer. Regardless, he's been a pioneer that's pushed back the limits on C2.
          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, Curt, but you can leave me out of that kind of stuff. Real thanks here go to Timbatron for making the patches. He doesn't own ToT, but was very cooperative when I asked if he'd make a patch for it.

Originally posted by Case
            I hadn't noticed that. Back in university I used to run Civ 2 at the same time as programs like MS Word ( ) but both ran OK at the same time. Am I missing something here?
            It uses your available CPU resources. See this thread at CFC.

Originally posted by Boco
            He might prefer a bronze bull-buggerer.
            You've got my imagination running in the wrong direction.
            Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Catfish:

Pardon my asking, but who is Timbatron? I was curious about your answer that "he doesn't own ToT.....but was very cooperative when asked to make a patch for it." Is the patch from someone who had something to do with developing ToT?
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

A clue

From the Blog of Justice*
                Anyone who thinks I’m an “open-source hater” should check out my website; all of my code is released under a public domain license (the only truly Free license). But I need to work for a living, which is why I work for Microsoft.
                He also didn't like "Borat".
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                X