Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teleporters, spaceports and units in other people's cities

Just some things I need advice on...

Well, currently I'm working on the US Civil War 2013 scenario, but I think my next project will be either a scenario on the Polish king Jan III Sobieski (including the relief of Vienna) or the Crusades.

With that in mind:
    • If you have an event where a unit belonging to one civ spawns in a city belonging to another civ, will it do so? This would be essential both for the Sobieski scenario (so that his army can save Vienna without having to conquer northeastern Austria ) and the Crusades {when one of the crusading powers conquers a city that was on the First's Crusade's route, "right of passage" units will be created in that city for all the rest of the Western Christian (and maybe Byzantine) civs, so that they can continue on the cursade regardless of what Christian power has the city.
    • Telelportation. When I say I want a transporter. it says "Type 1, 2, or 3?" What does that mean? I need to know how to make spaceports as well as "elevator" transporters for the proposed Crusader scenario (dealing with troop movements and all that.)

That's all for now. Your thoughts?
    The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
    2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

1. Units of one civ can appear via events in another civ's city, if there is already one of it's units there. This is not impossible, as you can place a unit in another civ's city using the cheat menu when creating the scenario. Just make sure it's immobile, or it will wander off.

2. Start with William Keenan's guide to intermap movement on the Cradle of Civilization site, here: http://coc.apolyton.net/guides/map_transport.shtml

Pay close attention to the section dealing with using Events to set intermap movement, since that's about the only way to do it if you haven't got all the parameters entered into the Rules file when you start up your game for the first time.

Good luck!
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
      1. Units of one civ can appear via events in another civ's city, if there is already one of it's units there. This is not impossible, as you can place a unit in another civ's city using the cheat menu when creating the scenario. Just make sure it's immobile, or it will wander off.
      Well then, that strikes down my Crusader idea. Namely, the plan would go along like this:
      1) Christian civ A conquers a Turk city (which is on the Crusade route)
      2) Consequently, immobile units for Christian civs B and C are generated in the conquered city.
      3) Therefore, units from B and C can move through A's city.
      Seems that can't be done. However, I might be able to do the Poland-to-Vienna march via teleporters, an extra "map," and some events.
      Pay close attention to the section dealing with using Events to set intermap movement, since that's about the only way to do it if you haven't got all the parameters entered into the Rules file when you start up your game for the first time.

Good luck!
      That's hard. I'm still not sure how you can make sure something is either a starport or a transportation site. How is that done?
      The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
      2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

A starport is simply an airport that allows movement (1 unit/turn) between cities on different maps.

A transportation site is built (like a mine or an airfield) by an engineer unit, and allows units to move to the same grid location, but on another map.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh Pay close attention to the section dealing with using Events to set intermap movement, since that's about the only way to do it if you haven't got all the parameters entered into the Rules file when you start up your game for the first time.
          techumseh, can you think of any other things in and outside of the rules that need to be done before ever loading up the scenario?
          Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
          Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

If you hex-edit a bit, you can create cities that aren't cities. In these shots, Port Sudan is just such a "noncity-city". If you click on its square, you do not get its city screen. You can get to that screen by the "Find City" dialog.

If the square is empty, units of any civ can pass through the city without conquering it. Here, a Turk passes through a British-controlled noncity-city, without it 'changing hands'.

It's an old trick. I learned it from Henrik. IIRC, Koby and Allard have played with it, too. Wouldn't shock me if Nemo pioneered it.

Few people get intermap transport design right the first time. If you get stuck with a bad design, squawk. Odds are, we can help via corrective events or hex-edits.

Starports in cities completely ignore the settings in @UNITS_ADVANCED. Teleporter terrain improvements are strictly governed by them.
            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Originally posted by EZRhino

techumseh, can you think of any other things in and outside of the rules that need to be done before ever loading up the scenario?
              Here's a link to an article I started on making ToT scenarios. It's unfinished, but it lists those things. If anyone can add to it, or correct errors, please feel free. http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph..._Time_scenario

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Covers it much better than I could, Tech!

There is a convoluted way to make one-way teleporters on the map. If that's important, I'll try to add a paragraph to Tech's wiki guide.

After confirming it in EAv2, I made one minor change to the wiki.
                Transporters are just like airports, except they send to other cities on other maps (only). They can send land, air, or sea units. Anyone who controls two or more on different maps can use them.
                El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                X