Need help with .wav files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with .wav files

Well, I've been doing some work on my US Civil War 2013 scenario when I hit and audio snag.

Let me explain.

As you probaqbly know, the scenario takes place in the near future, and thus uses equipment that is new, ergo I'd like some modern-or at least modern sounding, sounds. (Can't have Chinese AFV trumpeting like elephants, can we? ) Well, I downloaded a Civ 3 "Woodland camo Abrams" (I wanted to - and have tried in vain- to make a NATO woodland cammo Abrams graphic) and found out, to my pleasant surprise, that it had a tank gun sound - which, I presumed, was authentic to the Abrams gun. As the sound was in a .wav, I thought this would be great, as it could replace the generic "medgun" sound in my scenario, so I copy it, rename it medgun.wav, and placed it in the US Civil War 2013 sounds pile.

I then start up Civ 2, load the scenario, attack with an Abrams, and guess what?

"Audio file not supported." (Or something like that?)

Could anyone explain what is going on? How to fix it? And if there are any scenarios with good, modern-day weapons sounds? (Sure, I could take sounds from WWII scenarios, but I'd prefer modern-day stuff.)

Thanks for your time.
    The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
    2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Well, although I'm not an expert in this, I'm very far from average. I'd try to approach it like this.[list=1][*]Open a vanilla civ wav file (e.g. Warrior.wav) with Windows Sound Recorder[*]Check its properties
    [*]Open the Civ3 Abrams wav with Windows Sound Recorder[*]Check its properties compared to the Warrior.wav. Civ3's Arrows.wav has 16 Bit instead of 8 Bit[*]See if you can convert the Abrams.wav so that its properties match those of Warrior.wav. Using Sound Recorder's "File|Properties|Convert Now", try reducing the Bits from 16 to 8.[*]Try it the converted file in Civ2.[*]Let us know if this works! [/list=1]
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

The way I approach this is the same as making the title gif. I open a sound file I know works in a sound editing software and then I paste the new sound over it and click save.

I've been using goldwave for the editing since forever and I recently downloaded another freeware called Switch Plus to convert MP3 to wav.

It's easy to convert to Mp3, wav, wma, flac, ogg and more with this #1 rated audio file converter. Convert a single audio file, a playlist or a large batch of files. Free Download.
      This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

Working...
      X