The Balance Of Powers - Part One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Balance Of Powers - Part One

For some months I keep a paper project in my mind, which is all about empire building and state managing, placed in the age of the roi soleil at the mid of the 17th century. Again a huge inspiration came from a John Ellis scenario, in this case Colonies IV. Many game concepts shall be transfered and developped. And some perhaps new ones, that are

#1 Multiple maps These map lie practically besides not underneath each other, just one square must lap over. Most units can switch the map at those squares, special natives ones won`t. Most important is an extra europe map and one for the rest of the world. Map 2 and 3 could be parted in northern and southern hemisphere, map 4 Asia, just some thooughts.

#2 more maps -> more terrain types -> more terraforming: In Europe terraforming can create enourmous ressources but it takes a lot of time (I think of at last three development stages), and if war comes along, the loss of a single square could be crucial in the economic race. So the "limited wars" of that era get sense. Outside Europe things stay similiar to Colonies. Raising up plantations onto jungle by slave workers, hunting beavers and stuff.

#3 Two opposing minor civs occured in a number of scens yet. I want to transfer this idea into the 17th century. The ones are contra-bourbon, the others are contra-habsburg.

My sloppy map shows up seven colours, which represent:

Violet: France
    Yellow: Austria
    Pink: England
    Orange: United Provinces
    Red: Pro-Habsburg (HRE, Spain, Poland, Denmark)
    Blue: Pro-Bourbon (Ottoman Empire, Portugal, Sweden)
    Attached Files

Very good for a freehand map. I quite like the idea, too.

Comment

This lacks a bit of a 7th civ, didn't it? I totally forgot Russia... :|

Comment

... such a little detail...
        ... Russia... a city-state...

Seriously: agree with Patine, good handmade map. An idea, too.
        "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

Balnce Of Power I - 1661 - 1721

It should better call -just - "Balance of Power" - in English.

But well.

No no, no real progress as I serve for my country - one of the last in the free world that keeps up conscription. Germany, you know.

#1/ #2

I have made some thoughts about the multiple maps... For a civ-player it seems a-natural to switch between maps that actuallly lie next to each other on the same plant. But since the concept has - in my opinion - so much potential - I think to make three of them. One for Europe (w/o Russia), one for the northern hemisphere, one for the southern one.

To limit physical terrain types to a minimum - for Europe especially, would make space for at least four "upgrade" terrains. And one or two for the other maps...

Europe

1 Ocean
          2 Forest
          3 (Wooded) Hills
          4 Mountains
          5 Meadows
          6 Plains/less vegetable
          7 Unpassable
          8 ? (Special Trade lvl 1?)
          9 ? ( Special Shield lvl 1?)
          10 ? (Special Trade lvl 2?)
          11 ? (Special Shield lvl 2?)

Northern Hemisphere

1 - 6 as Europe
          7 Desert/ Half-Desert/ Praerie
          8 Tundra
          9 Boreal Needlewood - lol - let me call it Taiga
          10 Swamp ?
          11 Civilized Land
          + one must be impassable

Southern Hemisphere

1-6 as Europe ( 2 Jungle)
          7 Desert, Half-Desert, Praerie
          8 Swamp or Wet Forest
          9 Plantations (-> Colonies)
          10 Suptropic Forest ?
          11 Commercialized Plantations ? Spice ... oh looks like it'll need a forth map or what?
          + one must be impassable

Southeastern Hemisphere ???

Rice Paddies
          Different Trade Post/ Spice Growth terrains ... let's see

Singleplayer-unfriendly as my concepts #1 and #2 are my intentions how the civs have to be played. The two minor power - accumulations are something similiar to Eivind's First Strike or other Scens that struggled with this issue like New World Order, human players there should get a few house rules. But even a single player could admit that three neutral civs can be better than one.

Government forms, you want them all?

France: Communism/ Monarchy -> Communism
          England: Monarchy -> Republic ( Glorious Revolution!)
          3 Netherlands: Democracy (Part II Prussa: Funda)
          4 Austria: Monarchy
          5 Russia: Despotism - - - - - - - -> Monarchy
          6 Pro - Habsburg: Monarchy
          7 Pro - Bourbon: Monarchy
          Last edited by battosai; March 27, 2007, 13:30.

Comment

Working...
          X