Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ II for Mac

Hi guys,

I have been an avid fan of Civ II for many years. Recently, I decided to make the switch to Mac but I can't find a copy of Civ II for Mac anywhere. Amazon is all out and eBay doesn't seem to have any copies either. Can somebody help me out? My e-mail is Yowzers@gmail.com. Thanks so much.

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no Macs.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Civ II is currently dead on Mac OS X.

The only option is to get a Windows emulator program, plus Windows, in order to run the PC version.

That's a tad pricey, even for a diehard Civ II fan like me.

Of course that option also allows the Mac user to run any Windows program he/she might want to.

Oh boy.

Comment

If you migrated from a Windows machine you may have a copy of Windows you can put on your Mac. OEM Windows copies can't, though. You might be able to find a copy of Windows 98 or Win2k at a yard sale, flea market, or maybe even eBay.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

If it's an Intel mac, you can install WINE, a windows emulator for UNIX-like systems. A port is available for OS X. I haven't done this myself because I have a PowerPC (and a lemon at that), but I believe it should be relatively easy, and free.

Comment

Ooooh! - I am not so computer savvy, but I do have an Intel Mac, so it looks like a try!

The Mac- compatible version retails at CodeWeavers for $60, but that's down from 180. There is a 2-month free trial download available also. If it works, I will let you know. If it works...

It will probably take me a few weeks to get on it.

Comment

The cool thing about Civ2 MP for Mac is that, once installed, it does not require the disc (unless you want Wonder movies or the advisors). So you really just need to borrow a copy long enough to get it installed.

Where are you located, Worldlywiseorno?
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Civ II works on Mac very well ... if you are under system 7 to 9 !
                (I play Civ II MP under on old Mac PowerPC with system 9.1 )
                Under MacOS X, you may play Civ II if you have a PowerMac, in Classic environment.
                If you have a new MacIntel, no Classic environment neither Civ II
                The only solution is complex : via emulation, as defrancoj says : the actual version of WINE is SheepShaver, an emulation program to install MacOS 8 or 9 (v 9.0.4 max) then Civ II. It's not very stable but may run.
                JCP
                Paris, FRANCE

Comment

my point was to run the windows version under emulation on an Intel mac. I knew some guys at an Apple retailer who said getting WINE up was a piece of cake on an Intel-powered mac; shouldn't necessarily even have to pay for it, though for that you probably need at least a passing familiarity with package management via the Bash shell available in OS X. Since it's easier to get Civ 2 for Windows, that would seem the way to go. Unfortunately, I haven't personally tried any of this because I'm still on a PowerPC mac.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                    The cool thing about Civ2 MP for Mac is that, once installed, it does not require the disc (unless you want Wonder movies or the advisors). So you really just need to borrow a copy long enough to get it installed.

Where are you located, Worldlywiseorno?
                    A copy just came out on Amazon!

I have an Intel MacBook running OS 10.4.9. Does anybody know if this will work on it?

Many thanks.

Jrabbit: I'm in Manhattan.

Comment

Originally posted by worldlywiseorno
                      I have an Intel MacBook running OS 10.4.9. Does anybody know if this will work on it?
                      NO, CivII Mac does't run directly on Intel Macs.
                      You need another emulated system as said before :
                      Sheepshaver to play under MacOs 7 to 9
                      BootCamp, Parallels Desktop, QEmulator or VMware Fusion to play under Windows, but you have to buy Windows !
                      CrossOver to try to play windows version without Windows (but non-guaranted compatibility)
                      JCP
                      Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                      X