A new one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new one...

Recently, and pretty much out of nowhere, I've begun work on a new scenario:

ANABASIS

In the middle of the 3d century BC, the satraps of the Seleucid provinces of Parthia, Andragoras, and Bactria, Diodotus, declared themselves independent and founded new Graeco-Iranian empires in the east of Alexander's former domain. Soon, however, Andragoras' reign was destroyed by invading nomads from the deserts of Central Asia. Naming themselves Parthians after their new home, they set out to conquer and plunder the surrounding lands. Despite losing lands to the Parthians, the Bactrians could successfully defend themselves against them for several decades.
    Eventually however, the Seleucid king Antiochus III. decided to return the lost territories to his reign. In 212 BC, he started what would become one of the most monumental campaigns in the age of Hellenism, and, in reference to Alexander the Great, would be called the Anabasis of Antiochus.

The Participants

Macedonians
    Heirs to the throne of Alexander the Great, at least in Asia, the Seleucids are the protagonists of the scenario. Their goal is to conquer all the territories lost since the death of Alexander, and, possibly, to outclass his achievements by going where no Greek has gone before.

Parthians
    Coming from the deserts of Central Asia, the Parthians have started building a tremendous empire during the last few decades, but so far have still retained their nomad roots and traditions. Their goal is to expand further and become the most powerful force in the Middle East.

Bactrians
    Alexander the Great would have been proud of this part of his former empire, in which Greeks and Iranians have formed a cultural symbiosis. Although the ruling class is Greek, the local aristocracy has much power and remains perfectly loyal. Their must defend themselves against the Parthians and Macedonians, and eventually try to expand their empire.

Medes
    Independent since the death of Alexander, the tiny principality of Media Atropatene is no more than a footnote to the history of Hellenism. Iranian in identity, the Medes are in loose dependency of the Seleucids, but can rest assured that even if they refuse to pay tributes, their poor country will not be worth a Seleucid effort of subjugation. Or can they?

Persians
    Once masters of the biggest empire the world had ever seen, they are now subjects to the Greeks. During the past century, they had to endure insult after insult, but with a Macedonian garrison sitting in Persepolis, they are powerless- at least until a strong leader arises...

Elymaits
    A small principality in southwestern Iran, the Elymaits are heirs to the ancient Elamite civilisation. With Macedonian troops in their capital of Susa, can they remove the conqueror's yoke?

Indians
    The Maurya kings rule over almost the entire Indian subcontinent, and since the days of Candragupta, have a steady foothold in Iran. But are they friends or foes to the Greeks?

Screenshots

Antiochus embarks on his campaign!

Can the Persians regain former glory?

Guess who's coming to dinner...

Atropatene- footnote to history.

Release: Soon.
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Yay! I can't wait Stefan
    Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
    Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

This is exellent news Stefan

Are you planning rival Successor factions to the Seleucids?

I would ditch my crappy old cities in favour of Curt's though - and I'll e-mail you newer units if you like
      http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

That'd be great, Gareth. As a matter of fact, I could use one or two completely new units if you have some time to make them

The basic idea of the scenario is to show how the Seleucid Empire fell apart in the east by portraying how virtually every satrapy started to go its own way. By the time the Parthians took over, the Seleucids were reduced to Mesopotamia.

I know very little about Hellenistic military, so if anyone has some input there, I'd be grateful for that too.

BTW, incase you need it, my current email addy is shaertel2000@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk
        Follow the masses!

Comment

Wow, a new scen by Stefan! and featuring Persians (what a surprise...)

Excellent news, Stefan! But what happened to Running Free?
          Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
          Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
          POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
          LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

This looks great Stefan. The screenshots have me hooked already. I love this era and enjoy ancient empire builders!

Any chance of e-mailing me a copy of the units gif as there are some I have never seen before and I am an obsessive collector, not quite sure what I intend to do with them though! My e-mail is: ?
            I would appreciate it very much!
            Last edited by McMonkey; February 22, 2007, 16:24.
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
            SL INFORMATION THREAD
            CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrion
              Wow, a new scen by Stefan! and featuring Persians (what a surprise...)

Excellent news, Stefan! But what happened to Running Free?
              How can you go on if you don't stay true to yourself?

As for Running Free... it- err... ran away

Werd: I sent you the source files I got those units from... but I'd seriously recommend you to remove or alter that email addy or you'll see some nice commercial mails heading for your inbox in no time.
              Follow the masses!

Comment

Thanks Stefan
                SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

A tip for you Stefan, and thanks for the Warring States China map you sent me four years ago!

Comment

BUMP!

Hope you still intend to make this Stefan. If you want a hand testing or getting feedback then give me a shout.

I imagine as you have not posted for some time you must be busy but I liked the look of this scenario.
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Yes, Stefan. I'm looking forward to this too!
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Look here

Comment

It's still in the works, I have just been very busy with uni work lately. This semester promises to give me more leisure though, so I'll soon continue on this.

Turno- cheers for the link!
                          Follow the masses!

Comment

I suggest you to read Michael Grant's book "Hellenistic civilization", Osprey series "Siege warfare in Ancient Roma and Greece BC369 AD363" and "Rome's enemies: the desert frontier", Montvert series "Seleucid and Ptolemaic armies after 146 bc", and Rowledge "An history of the parthian empire".

Also you may check out DBM sites. Hellenistic armies are pretty popular here.

PS Forgot "Armies of Bactria 700bc 300ad", by Montvert.

Comment

Glad to hear it. How dare RL interfear with the world of Civ
                              SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                              SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                              X