No announcement yet.

Archers, bowmen, shooters of arrows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archers, bowmen, shooters of arrows...

Hello.

Searching for medieval/fantasy archer/bowmen (not crossbowmen) unit graphics for Civilization 2: Multiplayer Gold edition.

Working on a fantasy scenario kind of inspired by Pomarj and Hurin's Dagor Bragollach scenario.

No real form to it yet, but I like the idea.

Unit graphics so far are borrowed and modified, as I am incapable of drawing a humanoid form that doesn't look like a fat stick figure. Any advice, alternate links, or suggestions for what to do with this idea would be welcome.

Check out the gfx showcase in the stickied Great Library thread.
    Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Nice. I still stand by my belief that people prefer drawing guys with swords and spears to guys with axes or bows.

Comment

Ancient and medieval rather than fantasy, and old and sh1tty MGE 8-bit rather than ToT 15-bit, but there may be something you can use in this motley bunch of archers, slingers, axemen and javilineers.
        Attached Files
        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

They're beautiful, they really are, but they're not quite what I'm looking for. More long bow and less short bow stuff would be nice.

If I knew how to make scenarios and such for ToT I'd probably do it, MGE while more primitive is also easier to work with. I'm sure that's correctable, though.

Comment

Oops. Double posted due my currently sucky internet connection.

What would be nice, if someone with talent could draw it, would be an elf like the Warcraft 2 Elven archer, but at a normal Civ perspective. FavoredFlight's Legolas unit is very nice, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Comment

Not sure what a Warcraft 2 elf looks like; how about a LOTR elf?
              Attached Files

Comment

Good screenshot by Blizzard here. The elf is in the top right corner.

Again truly lovely graphics, and if I had the skill I could probably modify the one on the right (which is pretty close to what I'm picturing) myself. I may try that, but I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing do it.

Warcrat 2 Elf: Unarmored, blonde hair, and (optional) sleeveless shirt (presumably a golden brownish shirt, green pants). No helmet either.

Any more Elven units with less of a...(LotR) Movie look would be good.

Its not that the movies were bad, visually, but I think the Elves would have been armed and armored more like men (straight swords and "ordinary" armor) than the movie makers.

The worst of all this, to me: So many wonderful graphics, but not many that match what I'm envisioning.

But thanks, none the less.

Comment

it's off topic. sue me.

Gareth, your link to your units doesn't work anymore.
                  Lost in America.
                  "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
                  "or a very good liar." --Stefu
                  "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Also off topic

Gareth
                    I have a thread on CFC about an idea I have for a rise of the Ottomans scenario, I do not intend to start it anytime soon. I have never seen the Ottoman axeman (Top Right) before. Do you have any other existing Ottoman type troops stored away that I could have for that future (?) project?
                    No rush, I know your a busy man!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Elensar. I would help but our artistic skills are at about the same junior level!

Good luck with the project!
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                    SL INFORMATION THREAD
                    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

That's alright, just don't wander too far off topic (and "other nonarcher unit graphics" is just fine, as I may well borrow from the same things you do : ) ). Rise of the Ottomans? Does that mean "Fall of the Byzantines" as well, or are you planning on covering more after the empire finally died?

Comment

I intend to start off with the Ottomans as a small tribe of steppe horsemen and the Seljuks and Byzantines as the regional powers. I will then represent the rise of the Ottomans and therefor the decline of the Byzantines! I love Byzantine history, so much so that I went to Istanbul two years ago to see the Walls of Constantinope and all the other sights + to buy a rug!
                        I think the game would be made to be played as the Ottomans only though as I find this is the best was (bar PBEM) of making the game challenging! I'm not sure how much of the era to represent, and to be honest I am a long way off starting this one. When I finish my Vietnam scenario, remake WWII Europe V2 for ToT and revive my Ancient scenario + find the cure for cancer I will start a new thread to discuss this subject and stop nicking yours!
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                        SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
                        SL INFORMATION THREAD
                        CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

No worries.

The Byzantines are fascinating to me, although I doubt I know anything you don't. If/when you need help, I'll do what I can.

A Byzantine game might not be unfun, but it would have to be done instead of (or in addition to) this one. Balancing the Ottomans and the Byzantines at the start as equally playable is not worth the trouble.

Anyway, if you're taking this seriously, do make a new thread. : ) I don't mind you "borrowing" mine for the moment, though.

Comment

Re: it's off topic. sue me.

Originally posted by Exile
                            Gareth, your link to your units doesn't work anymore.
                            Yeah, it was a link to the old CDG site which is now kaput. Were you looking for anything in particular Phenix?

Comment

Re: Also off topic

Originally posted by Werd100
                              Gareth
                              I have a thread on CFC about an idea I have for a rise of the Ottomans scenario, I do not intend to start it anytime soon. I have never seen the Ottoman axeman (Top Right) before. Do you have any other existing Ottoman type troops stored away that I could have for that future (?) project?
                              No rush, I know your a busy man!
                              Yes I drew a few MGE byzantines and Ottomans years ago. I'll try and find them.

Comment

Working...
                              X