The Vietnam War development thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Werd100
    Just treated myself to a new PC today. Have not installed Civ yet as it has taken me hours to install everything. I read somewhere that the greatest game ever still works on Vista though! I am using my old PC for the internet still until I can sort out my Virus protection. The guy in the shop said McAfee has some issues with Vista, I think he said the firewall dose not work. Anyone have any info?
    AVG and Zonealarm my friend.
    Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
    Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

• @Werd100

Exactly how old was the rust bucket that kept crashing on you? Did you forget to grease it and change the oil regularly?

My beloved rust bucket, aka Oddjob, began life with Windows Millenium. When, like too many politicians, it became corrupted, it was necessary to upgrade to XP. However, despite only having a prehistoric 800 Mhz abacus, the old boy has never thrown a tantrum with Civ 2.

Last edited by AGRICOLA; March 27, 2007, 11:37.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

• Thanks for the advice. Found the problem with the old PC. Apparently I forgot to feed the hamster on the treadmill and it starved to death (well thats what the power source/fans etc sounded like!).

The new one is so quiet its a bit creepy! I am digging the flat monitor as it means I have my desk back. Also have a scanner/fax/photocopier/printer thingy which will make my life so much easier if I can afford the ink.

One problem is the way the monitor displays Civ. The graphics look awful. May alter the sreen resolution to see if I can improve it. Vista is a bit odd too. Keeps asking me if I really want to delete or move things. I think it is a little bit too secure! Good news is CivII MGE and ToT both work fine, no hastles whatsoever.
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
        SL INFORMATION THREAD
        CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

• <- supported by gd'ol' Win '98 building year '98 half-totally-obsolete-machine, half-spleeny-but-loved-old-pet. I call him T-O-M.

Comment

• Not ready to retire HAL just yet. Going to keep him going as my internet machine (so he can take all the worst viruses etc) and use him for LAN games (Shogun, Medieval, Rome Total War and the classic Combat Mission + CivII of course).
            Found the problem with the CivII graphics, just needed to zoom the map out a bit to get it to look right. Has the advantege of showing a lot more of the map on the screen. City screen still looks a bit pixly but what the hey!
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Any news?
              "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
              -OOTS

Comment

• Originally posted by Werd100
                Found the problem with the CivII graphics, just needed to zoom the map out a bit to get it to look right. Has the advantege of showing a lot more of the map on the screen. City screen still looks a bit pixly but what the hey!
                Top tip: Press shift-z to normalise the game res to your screen res when starting or reloading a game. It's amazing how many experienced designers post screenies without doing this
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

• @Michael Daumen
                  I am giving myself a bit of R'n'R from the Nam at the moment. After the PC crash (and just prior) I had lost a lot of the momentum and more importantly the enthiasm for this project.
                  At the moment I am working on the ToT version of my WWII Europa scenario. Should not take too long as the game is there, just a few alterations, a new tech tree and new events. I expect that by the time I have finished that I will be ready to start on Vietnam again. I often rest projects for a while when I get to burnout point but they always get finished eventaually.

@Fairline
                  I have a 19" screen now which shows much more of the map when you set it to medium zoom. Bit gutted as I saw Dell had a PC with a 22" screen and x2 RAM (IE 2GB) for about £150 cheeper. Serves me right for impulse buying!!!

I agree that screenshots with the maximum zoom look a bit odd!

BTW check your PM box.
                  SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                  SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• Hey McMonkey do you still have the info for this game? Because that map would be good to have.

Comment

• Still got all the files. I might try and finish this as a multiplayer game one day, that's the only way I can see it working. It will be a lot of work and I don't seem to have the time/energy to finish some of my simpler projects at the moment!

Here are all the files. Feel free to make what use of them you like. I wish I had made the map the right way up. I think the only reason I made it that way was that I didn't know how to make the 32,000 square maps from scratch and I just took the big world map from Imperialism 1870, deleted all the continents and used that.
                      Attached Files
                      SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                      SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

• I may be able to make something out of this when I'm done the KW and EotRS, at least, if you are granting permission. I'm quite fascinated by Asian conflicts, especially 20th Century ones (Tech's WoC is a big favourite).

Comment

• Please go ahead. I would love to have finished this project but it was just too ambitious and complex and didn't have the time or energy to wrestle with it any more. Maybe one day I will go back and finish it as a multiplayer game which I think it is best suited as due to the large map and the type of conflict.
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Working...
                          X