the SCN file and Freeciv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the SCN file and Freeciv

I ran into snag while trying to convert a Civ2 scenario to Freeciv: the use of SCN files, instead of '.mp' maps that can be directly converted to a Freeciv map with the civ2mp2fc program.

Is there any easy way to extract map data from these files?

Hmm I´ll have a look at this. You could probably open them up in the in the Civ2 mapeditor.
    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Yes, actually, Mercator replied in a PM with some useful information. I'm fiddling around a little with his MapEdit tool. I also heard from evyscr that he is working on an automatic converter script for this file format too, as he has done for the .MP format in 'civ2mp2fc'.

Comment

Sigh, it'd be nice if Merc got himself unbanned. That info would be a very helpful post. Good luck on the degree, lurker.
        El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

From Mercator's PMs, for reference:

You can use my MapEdit utility to extract maps from savegames and scenarios. Opening a scenario in MapEdit will load the map, and you can then save it (as a map) before converting that map again with the civ2mp2fc program. MapEdit works for all Civ2 versions, and will load all maps in case of multi-map ToT games.
          Well, the Civ2 community has found out quite a bit about the savegame/scenario file format. At least the map, unit and city data are well-known. There's a (slightly chaotic) document that describes what is known of the file format, so it should be possible to write a program that extracts all that data and converts it to whatever format FC needs. You can find that document here: http://www.civgaming.net/mercator/reference.html It's the top one. It's not the most recent one, but it should be good enough. I can send you a more recent version if necessary.

Comment

Working...
          X