Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ2: Editing rules.txt and research is impossible?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2: Editing rules.txt and research is impossible?!

Hi all, I haven't been to Apolyton for a very long time (4 yrs), and I decided to get back into Civ2. I don't have the original CD anymore, but I still had the folder within the D Drive, and the data in it.

Before changing the rules.txt, I copied and pasted the entire Civ2 folder into my desktop. I changed the following:

"1st Population til unhappy in Chieftain mode": 10
    Tireme Sinking chance: 1 in 3

Research priorities for AI civs:

Democracy 2, 0
    Monarchy 2,
    Communism 2,0
    Fundamentalism 2,0
    Republic 2,0

When I played a new game on a large map, lets say the "Alphabet" takes 20 turns to research with Rome at 1 Pop (4000BC).

When I build a warrior and enter a hut before the 20 huts are up, something odd happens. I can get "scrolls of ancient wisdom", which gives me a free tech, but my research time for Alphabet suddenly increases to 30 turns.

I use the "save/load" method to enter huts with free techs, but every free tech I get increases my Research time for "Alphabet" by 10 turns and so on. This shouldn't even happen because my population is slowly increasing, and research should go faster for the same item.

You get my point? I look at Science Advisor, and the point bar is very dense, as if it was Future Technology or something.

Even when I delete this folder and replace it with the untouched copy from my desktop, the same problem still occurs. What can I do to stop this from happening?

Thank you in advance, and I apologize for my ignorance.

PS: I didn't change the "Tech strength" or whatever it was called, I left it at a value of 10.

Monarchy 2,0 I meant.

Comment

The number of beakers required to learn a technology always increases when you discover a new technology. I can't remember the details - it's been a long time since I played Civ 2 - but I think the beakers required doubles from the 1st to the 2nd tech. So when you get a tech from a hut, your research time should go up.

RJM
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

But I'm talking about researching the SAME technology: Alphabet.

How can 20 turns (Alphabet) become 50 turns after discovering 3 huts of "ancient wisdom"??? It is ridiculous and never happened before I changed the rules.txt settings.

I can understand Iron Working taking more research than Warrior Code because it is a product of it, but I'm referring to the very 1st stream of techs, I literally can't research it/them.

Comment

Originally posted by haraza
          But I'm talking about researching the SAME technology: Alphabet.

How can 20 turns (Alphabet) become 50 turns after discovering 3 huts of "ancient wisdom"??? It is ridiculous and never happened before I changed the rules.txt settings.

I can understand Iron Working taking more research than Warrior Code because it is a product of it, but I'm referring to the very 1st stream of techs, I literally can't research it/them.

Easy now. You did imply that it has been a while since you played, yes??

Every tech you acquire (whether by research, swaps, or by hut) increases the number of beakers required for the next tech--even if the research goal has not changed. What counts is the total number of acquired techs. It has always been this way. For instance, the first tech needs 10 beakers to complete, but the second is ~ 18.

Suggest you lay off the huts until you have more cities down and try to get at least 3 trade arrows for each city. Work some 'specials' or build some roads. As the base number of arrows per turn increases the research will go faster.

Happy Civing,
          Monk
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

If you don't believe the Monk, Samson did a thread on this a while back...

Comment

Yes, they are correct, and that's the reason when players are racing to finish researching monarchy before the next odeo year, they will not pop a hut if the 10 or so extra beakers that it will increase the research by will make them miss the odeo year by a turn.

And a reminder that techs recieved at the start the game do not count towards techs researched which raises the beakers required for the next one.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I'm sorry.

I realized I have been wrong, and I have managed to complete significant research in a Large Map in Prince difficulty.

It seems that in this game, one of the main strategies is to build as MANY cities as possible in the BC era, so at a Monarchy government, you research advances within 10 turns, and also to reduce enemy expansion.

Then when I go to Democracy, I can research advances in 4/5 turns + lots of money.

I won't play King level anymore, just Prince for now. I researched Amphibious Warfare in the year 900 AD, but that was given I had 50 cities or so, plotted all over the world...

BTW, in King level, does the opponent's shield requirements cheat halfway through the game????? I saved a game and looked at the opponent's city window, and they required 40% less shields for a wonder when I was in the Industrial Era...

And I wasn't playing Deity.

Comment

Originally posted by haraza

It seems that in this game, one of the main strategies is to build as MANY cities as possible in the BC era, so at a Monarchy government, you research advances within 10 turns, and also to reduce enemy expansion.

Then when I go to Democracy, I can research advances in 4/5 turns + lots of money.

And I wasn't playing Deity.
                  You are right that laying down a large number of cities (ICS) does seem to be a very successful strategy.

However even on deity it is possible to achieve 2 advances per turn even with a small number of cities. The key is building and delivering large numbers of caravans per turn and developing a super science city (SSC) which can produce the beakers for one advance on its own.

Normally we encourage people to move to Deity, but, with so few people left playing Civ2, play it any way you enjoy!

RJM
                  Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I'm a fan of King difficulty. Deity and Emperor involve too much micromanaging to keep the citizens happy for my tastes. I've never been very good at games though, I only play them for fun and nothing else.

It's been 10 years since I originally got and played Civ2, and it still challenges me even after all this time. The A.I. is quite remarkable for its age. I'm a proud owner of SMAC & SMAX as well, yet sometimes I still load up Civ2 on the slow computer for some good old fashioned fun.

I've always advocated going for The Republic first. It's vastly superior to Monarchy in terms of raw trade generation. Less corruption too.

Comment

Working...
                    X