world war 2 in Europe - Creation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world war 2 in Europe - Creation thread

April 1940 : Nazis are about to invade Denmark and Norway…

the scenario starts… You are Winston CHURCHILL, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and you will have to resist the armies Nazis before being able to bring a wind of freedom on Europe.
    This scenario will take as a starting point the second world war in Europe, but will add events which did not really take place. For example, Spain and Turkey could join the forces of the axis.
    And if you managed to destroy the German threat. Perhaps your Soviet allies will have ambitions for Europe…
    Seven civilizations :
    - Germany (Axis)
    - Italy
    - Vichy France
    - USSR
    - Allies
    - Spain
    - Turkey
    Barbarians : other countries like Denmark and Norway… and neutral countries as Sweden ( I will use them for some events…For example, fortifications will make certain barbarians cities impregnable. These fortifications will disappear at one selected time. The Event file will make disappear its by changing the terrain under the neutral city which support them)
    At first, I took as a starting point the scenario “lebensraum 1939” of FMK for the map and placement of the cities.

I seek a good title for this scenario .....Any suggestions?

The map...
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MacGalleo
      The map...
      Shouldn't northern France be under Allied control? It seems that if Churchill want to send British troops to the Belgian border, he'll have to "conquer" a number of French and Belgian cities.
      The Ghost of the Disco is ... your mastermind, your mastermind!
      2013: A Union Divided|John III Sobieski|Red Storm

Comment

You're right, Northern France should be under Allied control.
        starting from the second turn, Germany must invade these cities. But but until there, I don't want that Northem France produce britanic infantry.
        It would be necessary whereas the technology allowing their production is allowed after the invasion by the Nazis

Comment

Also, shouldn't Poland have fallen already? And why is Ireland and Portugal for instance in the Allied civ? Or is the red cities barbarian?

Anyhow, interested to see how how this scenario develops.
          Find my civ2 scenarios here

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!

Comment

Yes, Poland should be under the control of the axis. I had hesitated between September 39 and April 40 when I began the scenario.
            In the same way, I do not know yet if I will leave Greece under barbarians control or under allied control.

For technologies: the Events file will give the majority for the various stages of the war (For example, “the battle of Britain” or “the operation torch”).
            Scientific research will then be used to obtain additional reinforcements. As soon as the reinforcements are obtained, the Events file withdraws the technology which made it possible to have them in order to be able to seek it again.
            As the war advances, the cost of the reinforcements will increase

Comment

Is this going to be a MGE or TOT scen? If it is going to need a lot of events then either TOT or multiple events files will probably be needed. TOT also has the major advantage of stackeble terrain.

I'm afraid that I don't quite follow
              For technologies: the Events file will give the majority for the various stages of the war (For example, “the battle of Britain” or “the operation torch”).
              Scientific research will then be used to obtain additional reinforcements. As soon as the reinforcements are obtained, the Events file withdraws the technology which made it possible to have them in order to be able to seek it again.
              I am assuming that there is a non-researchable tech for TORCH which can only be given by events. For your idea to work, TORCH has to be the start of a short branch of the tech tree which can consist of only one tech (see below for why only one), for example TORCH FORCES.

Am I correct in my understanding that researching TORCH FORCES will result in:
              A - events will spawn a number of units
              B - events will then take away the TORCH FORCES tech so it can be researched again

This means that, if there are additional techs along the TORCH branch, they can never be researched.

However, you may find that you also have to take away the TORCH tech unless you want to have TORCH FORCES as a tech that will remain on the 'can research' list. Eventually the list will be entirely populated by the earliest techs for FRANCE, DIEPPE, BATTLE OF BRITAIN, GREECE, CRETE etc., etc.. Civ II insists that all earlier techs have to be researched before it allows you to research later ones.

Also, I wonder if you can make research costs low enough so that a tech can be researched in 2-3 turns, assuming that one turn is a month without using events to spawn freights? Is a player going to be faced with a choice of researching techs for units that he can build on an ongoing basis or researching a tech for one-shot reinforcements? If he opts for techs to build units, will the one-shot techs clutter up the 'can research' list?

IMHO, you gave a very interesting idea but right now I can see major problems in implementing it.

Finally, have you considered using barbs to represent the neutrals with a D=99 unit in all cities and unable to build anything, or simply make all neutral terrain impassable. Also, Finland was not neutral.
              Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
              Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Don't forget that Brest-Litovsk and Lvov(Lemburg) should belong to the Soviets.

And oh yeah one Syrian cities belongs to Turkey in FMK's scen, I see it's the same here. Aleppo should be French.
                Last edited by Arthedain; November 26, 2006, 05:28.
                "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Agicola :
                  This is going to be TOT scenario. TOT brings more possibilities than the preceding versions of civ2.
                  Yes , “Operation Torch” will be a non-researchable tech and will result in :
                  Events will spawn a number of units during some turns.
                  The researchable tech:
                  for example, the Allied cities will be able to product British infantry, but not Royal commando. A researchable tech will be the only way to have this unit. There won’t be additional techs along this researchable tech.
                  Yes , the neutrals cities under barbarians control will have a D=99 unit.
                  I think of using these cities as follows:
                  For example: German should not attack Yugoslavia and Greece before April 41. Each town of these two countries will have d-99 units supported by a neutral city. By changing the ground under the city, it disappears and with it the d-99 units.

Arthedain :
                  Ok, I will do the changes.

Comment

Are you sure you want to wipe out Yugoslavian cities? That won't make for a very interesting Yugoslavian camapaign. What I suggest is three barb units: ones that begin defeatable (Denmark, Norway, Belgium, etc.), ones that start D=99 but, through a files swap become defeatable in Apr '41 (Yugoslavia and Greece), and ones that stay D=99 (hardcore neutrals). Also, you should get an alliance hex-edited with the barbs (ask AGRICOLA about that) for the Allies and most non-German AI players. The AI WILL waste units trying to destroy invulnerable neutral defenders otherwise.

Comment

I think he was refering to an unreachable neutral city that shoud be wiped out. But tha was some good sugstions Patine. But with the original idea you wouldn't have to swap files, or use up more unit slots.

Like the hex idea though.
                      "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                      It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

I don't want to wipe out Yugoslav cities.
                        let us imagine that in Zagreb, we have a d=99 unit supported by a neutral city : Malmo for example. With an event, we change the terrain under Malmo. It will result that the d=99 unit in Zagreb disappears.
                        On the other hand, the fact that the ai wastes its units on this d=99 could be a problem.
                        Another solution would be to put in Zagreb a unit which would be renewed by the Event file each time it would be destroyed.

Comment

Some news from the front…
                          My first idea to create a tech-tree where the majority of the advances would be given by the “Events files” gives a rather disappointing result.
                          Also, I recreated new one with advances which will have to be sought. It seems more satisfactory than the first. It will probably remain me to make some readjustment there progressively creation of the scenario.
                          I also decided to put Spain and Turkey under control of the barbarians. That will free two civilizations which I could use for free France and the neutral nations (except Spain and Turkey).
                          Civilizations will be thus:
                          - Germany
                          - British (with American in the forms of reinforcements by the file vent)
                          - Italian
                          - USSR
                          - France of Vichy
                          - Free France
                          - Neutrals - Minor Axis (except for Finland which will be under the control of German as of the beginning), some minor allied and Spain and Turkey. I also chose a map larger than that which I had chosen at the beginning. I started to place there the cities, installations of ground and the units.
                          Attached Files

Comment

and...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X